Chapter 2: Begin

I should go tell them. They're my parents, they need to know, or if they have answers, I need to know. What I need to know is the question.

Alright, I just needed to think this through logically. I mean, it is quite a jump to have assumed that it was even true. Let alone connect it to myself...but that conversation...maybe I should ask a few questions. 'But about what? The fact you came across a weirdo website that said the Neutral would throw Enthro off his throne?' I thought to myself bitterly.

Gods, this was frustrating. Maybe I could bring it up. Tell them about the weird website and say I came across it researching my school project. That might work. Right? They might avoid any questions I brought up, or change the subject. Would this work? That legend and their conversation all lined up. 'Two scars. One to go.' The thought ran through my head. It wasn't my voice saying the words. The voice was foreign but familiar.

What. The. Frick. Is going on?!? 'Great, now I'm hearing things, or maybe I'm already insane. Wow, way to think positive Dakota.' I held the small conversation in my head.

I always argued with my own thoughts to give a better argument when needed. I don't know why I do this, but I do know one thing. It makes argumentative essays at school a lot easier.

Soon, my parents called me down for dinner. I tried to forget about the argument I had overheard, and how anxious they had seemed. Jacklynn and Riley looked to be trying to forget about it too.

"So, have you been doing anything interesting at school?" Riley asked, breaking the silence that had been hanging over the kitchen.

"Oh, yeah. We're doing a free choice topic, but we have to 'teach' it to the class." I responded, glad that the topic had gone to school.

"What topic did you choose?"

"I chose to do my topic on, well, I chose Neutrals," I said, unsure of what their reactions would be.

"Oh, alright..." Riley looked at Jacklynn. The shared the same expression of curiosity with a hint of worry.

I decided to take the opportunity before they changed the subject, "Yeah, while doing research I came across a really weird website. I would show you, but the page crashed and I couldn't find it again."

They looked a bit worried, and I started to wonder if this was a bad idea. I pushed the thought away and continued.

"It said something about a weird legend. Something about the child of peace and chaos. The site called them the 'True Neutral.'"

"O-oh, really?" Jacklynn forced the stutter from her voice "I don't think you should rely on that website, it seems to be one of those conspiracy theory sites."

"It's one of the school's sites, that they recommend. For research and such."

"Oh." they both said in unison.

I shoved a roll into my mouth to avoid having to elaborate or talk any further.

'Great cop-out, Dakota. Why did you even bother if you were afraid of the result?' I couldn't tell if the voice belonged to me or it was the strange one from earlier. Maybe it was a combination of the two.

Later in the night, about half an hour past when I was supposed to be asleep, I had my ear pressed to the cold metal vent, listening to my parents talking. They kept bringing up the website I had mentioned, and how they should probably look more into it. They talked about what kind of legend it had told. That was, they were probably talking about the legend. They kept calling it a prophecy, which was no small thing.