Chapter 6: State Capital

I was woken up by Riley lightly knocking on my window. It was a welcome site. I'd rather see that than seeing nothing. I almost thought it was all a dream until I saw the tip of the chimera's tail in a bucket to catch all the venom.

"Coming, coming." I sighed as I got out of the car.

Everyone was looking at maps and checking apps for good hotels to stay in. I looked around at the buildings, and suddenly wished I had my camera. I saw the state capital in the distance, and with it framed by the trees and the way the sun was glinting off of it, it would have made for an excellent picture.

I thought a bit and rummaged through my bag, hoping that I might have packed my camera. Finally, I found it.

After getting the settings just right...-snap- I got the picture.

"Wow, did you get that picture?" Alex asked, looking at the capital.

"Yep! And it turned out great." I replied, smiling.

"Alright kids, it's time to go. Hop back in the car and let's be on our way." Jacklynn announced as she looked at me, "and, yes, it does have good photo ops."

"Sweet! Let's go!" I jumped back into the car again, Alex close behind.

Chaslura and Aluris turned into kittens because only small dogs and cats were the only pets allowed inside the hotel. The two curled up on a blanket and fell asleep.

As we drove, I saw a lot of good picture opportunities I'd have to ask to visit later. Then we passed something that really caught my eye, so much so that I unintentionally yelled, "Stop the car!"

Rylie pulled over, and I realized I had yelled that out loud. I ran out of the car (followed by two very curious kittens and an Alex), ran to the spot I saw, and clicked the picture of the sky. It looked like something from wonderland, the sun and the moon were sides by side, and we had almost driven into the zone that resembled twilight before I had told them to stop.

"Weird. And an amazing picture if I might add, which I do."

"Yeah. Look, you can see so many constellations!" Alex said, pointing to the moon's side of the sky.

I looked up, aimed my camera, and -snap- took a picture of an odd constellation. Then, to my surprise, the constellations started moving, dancing, in the sky. The sun and moon danced around each other while the stars circled them, creating pictures of magnificent creatures and scenes and people. I sat down and watched the light show, Alex sat beside me. I heard Chaslura give a small chuckle behind me. They must have changed back.

"Adaline and Sunan must be celebrating. Those two have always been allies of ours." Chaslura commented, a hint of a smile in her voice.

Aluris sat down with us and said, "Yes, it seems that they're very excited if they have decided to put on a light show like this."

"You know, I've always been confused about why they're allowed to have kids. They're literally night and day. Why aren't their kids counted as Neutrals?" Alex asked, looking at Chaslura.

"Well, Dawn and Twilight were needed, so Enthro arranged the marriage. They're good friends, but that's all they are now that their job is done." Chaslura replied, looking a bit sad.

My parents joined us soon after the conversation, and we all watched the light shows finally of the stars initiating fireworks. After that, the show slowly died away as the sun and moon returned to their proper places, and the stars hid beneath the sun's bright light. Soon it returned to 1:00 p.m. in Cheyenne, Wyoming.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We entered the hotel at 9:00 p.m. because I may or may not have stopped for good pictures a little...okay, a lot, on the drive here. We booked a room and walked in.