Chapter Six

Jace was stunned by this wolf's features and that it was able to survive this long in the dangerous forest. How could such a slim creature survive here? How is anything like that logical? Ambition.

This wolf took a look at Jace then at Lachlan who continued to cheer happily for Neko's arrival, shaking his branches and chanting her name. "Neko! Neko! Neko!" He chanted as he was developing a much stronger bond with her by chanting.

Neko wandered around the clearing as if it was a normal day, she even took the liberty to take a sniff of knocked out Marco. To Jace, it was pretty funny and would be hysterical if he woke up to a wolf in his face. But he digressed.

"So this is the infamous wolf of the forest?" He asked Lachlan still confused as to how she survived out here so long. "Yes! That's Neko! Lovable Neko!" He shouted happily as he brought Jace back to his sitting place while Neko took notice of the area around her. She was so calm, it was a good day for her in the forest.

Jace kept his eye on her and watched her movements as she continued to get familiar with everything around her. She just made herself known to a human and is living proof that there's life in the forest. "She looks incredible." He muttered under his breath.

Neko's fur pelt was as dark as the forest but with patches of brownish gray. She was a magnificent creature who could pass for just a normal husky dog back home. But her jaw gave it much more of her features to be a wolf instead. The more he looked at her the more he wanted to snap a quick picture of her but he didn't want to disrespect her in anyway.

"Hello Neko. My name is Jace Waylon. I'm not here to harm you." He told her as Lachlan was helping him get down now so he could approach the wolf happily. Neko gave a gesture to listen to what this human had to say to her by sitting down with her ears perked up. It was her way of saying, "I'm listening Human, continue to speak."

Jace smiled at her response to him, like the wolf was actually giving him a chance to speak to him. "I'm a photographer, I like to take pictures with my camera. I came here to meet you since in my city, no one believes that there's a wolf in this forest. But you are the first living proof that there's life here!" Jace explained to her. Neko gave a lot of head tilts but when she learned she was the only wolf here, her ears were pinned down to her head.

Jace unintentionally hurt Neko's feelings with his remark that there is no other wolf in this forest. Her whole time being here was to search for a potential mate to reproduce to have a family of her own but now that dream was crushed. Lachlan saw her sadness and began to cry that Neko was upset.

Jace realized his mistake and kneeled before Neko, "m'lady, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I deeply apologize for making a remark that was not up to your standings. I will help you in your search for company if you wish." He told her with full of hope. Maybe there were other wolves in the forest and he just hasn't seen them yet. There was the wolf copy that took his best friend's life. So here has to be another wolf out there. Some where. Ambition.

Neko was thrilled that a human was going to help her in her misadventures trying to find a potential mate. It was the perfect duo. Perfect match. She started her walk wanting Jace to follow behind but he stayed in one place. Even though he hated his guts he needed to protect Marco. If not him then who? Lachlan doesn't like him for hurting and bruising him and the ghouls aren't baby sitters of any kind.

Neko was upset and whined wanting Jace's help with her mission but Jace sat down giving her so much discouragement. Neko laid beside the human and whimpered wanting him to change his mind, but it didn't work. All Jace did was stroke her head gently and reassured her, "I can't let another person die in this forest."

Neko took a deep breath in and out and laid her head against his leg as she drifted off to sleep. Was this real? A wolf sleeping next to a human that doesn't really belong in the forest. Whatever the case was, Jace did not complain about it. He was quite happy to be with a wolf like her.

~ Next Morning ~

Jace apparently woke up that dark sky morning and looked to his right to see Neko was still drifted to sleep beside him. It was here he was reevaluating his life choices and why his ex wife would not trust him at all. You know what? Good riddance. His life needed more adventure and if she didn't want that then why stay with her?

Neko woke up to the sound of groaning and got up to run off to hide but kept herself visible to Jace so he doesn't think she ran away from him.

Marco was getting up on his two feet and Jace looked as he was still deep in thought. He didn't like how he was able to get up on his own, but maybe another human around him would calm his nerves.

"Dammit Jace.." Marco started. "I should have told you before we walked into this forest but there's something about your wife that no one, not even Gabriel, told you.. and it's about your baby."

Jace was on the edge of his mental state and sat up to listen to what this guy had to say about his developing daughter.

"The baby isn't yours, Jace."