Chapter 3

Remus and I begin to meet at least three times a week and once on weekends. We usually meet during quidditch practice so nobody will see us. We sit in the library and just talk.
The marauders would never leave me alone, even if they knew. At least now there's someone to stay and heal my bruises and cuts.
The first time Remus touches me in a friendly way, I tense up and jump back. It has been a day in late October. "I heard you had a bad day," Remus said. I shrugged, brushing it off. Next thing I knew, he was hugging me. I tensed up and jumped back. Remus frowned. "I just hugged you. It's okay if you don't like hugs, I should've asked." Slowly, I had put my arms around Remus and squeezed lightly, him doing the same. "Hugs aren't so bad," he'd said.
Another night, we were doing homework. I set my quill down and ever so lightly traced my finger across one of the many scars on his face. "Where did these come from?" I had asked. "An accident when I was a child," he told me. "They look too fresh for that. Some of them at least," I say. "Drop it," he had told me. So I did.
The next week, Remus never showed up to meet me. Although quite put out, I did my homework anyway. When I finished, I looked out the window that sat in front of the couch. The full moon was beautiful.
Tonight we sit doing our Defense Against the Dark Arts homework. "Did you finish your essay on werewolves?" I ask. Remus frowns. "The one on whether or not they should be allowed in the ministry?" He asks. I nod.
"I can't believe that's an essay topic," I say with disgust. "Werewolves in the ministry?" I roll my eyes. "Of course they should be let in! So what if they have scars? What if they get a little sick? What if they have to miss once or twice a mon-" I stop mid-sentence and glance over at Remus. "Moony," I acknowledge. He sighs.
"You're a werewolf," I say. "Here comes the hate," he says. Puzzled, I look at him. "Hate?" I ask. He nods. "Remus it's not that you're a werewolf, it's something else," he imitates someone. "It's always that I'm a werewolf."
Surprising him and myself, I hug him tightly. "I don't care about you being a werewolf!" I exclaim. "You don't?" He asks. I laugh. "No. Werewolves aren't monsters," I tell him. "Yes they are," he says quietly. "The real monsters are the ones who mean to hurt people. The ones who get into their heads and break them down from the inside out," I tell him. He smiles widely. "You're amazing," he says. I can feel a blush working it's way up my face.
"Have you ever kissed anyone?" Remus asks suddenly. I shake my head. "Nobody has ever wanted to kiss me," I tell him. "Have you?" I ask. He nods. "Yeah, but none of them really mattered," he says. "How does a kiss not matter?" I ask.
Remus shrugs. "I don't know, but I'd like to kiss someone who does," he says, leaning forward. Our lips brush slowly. I jump back, remembering who this is. "Remus," I begin. He cuts me off. "You don't feel that way," he blushes. I shake my head. "It's not that! Not at all. I do feel something. I just can't kiss anyone Remus," I say. "Why not?" He asks. "I'm afraid," I say in response.
Remus smiles slowly and chuckles. "Are you sure it's not because I'm a werewolf?" He asks. I nod. "Why are you afraid to kiss me then?" He asks. I look down at my hands. "You're one of them," I say. Hurt flashes across Remus' face. " Len, listen, they're my friends but I'm not like them." I look at him for a moment. "Nobody has ever given me a nickname before," I confess. "You can be my Len then," he says.
We stand up to leave that night, and I wrap my arms around Remus' neck as if to hug him. Instead, I press my lips against his lightly. I'm kissing a marauder. His hands gently go around my waist and pull me closer. I'm still a bit afraid, but all that melts away as his lips press tighter against mine. I pull away and laugh breathlessly against his shoulder. "I guess you were telling the truth. That isn't the first time you've done that."