Chapter 3:Drops

Chapter 3

The sputtering of the car's exhaust never sounded so horrible to Max. Before he'd be able to tune it out by distracting himself by looking at whatever happened to be outside the window, but now that little luxury wasn't quite there anymore. The radio had been taken out and sold by his parents barely a day after buying it, so he couldn't even try to lose himself in whatever crap they would've otherwise put on. All he had to listen to was the ugly rattling of that damned exhaust.

His parents were uncharacteristically quiet. They'd typically be trying to talk over one another in the argument of the day, or they'd be discussing the potency of whatever 'Emile' had to sell, and if they could afford the cost. If Max happened to be in the car he was promptly ignored, so long as he kept quiet. He should've kept quiet more often than he did, he knew that, but sometimes he'd get so irritated by whatever they were blathering on about that he couldn't help it when he yelled at them to "Shut the hell up you pair of rotting balls!" or something else as hilariously insulting. It'd be worth it when the car broke to a sudden halt and the seatbelt winded him, and his mother rasping at him to "Shut your mouth you little bastard!".

He smiled to himself when he heard his father speak for the first time since they began their car-ride home from the hospital.

"We're here."

Max undid his belt to shimmy his way over to the door, but he could still hear the sputtering of the exhaust. He was confused. The car couldn't still be going this speed and be home at the same time. The reality hit max like a rush of ice-water down his back. The car screeched to a sudden halt before he could do anything about it. He was thrown forward, in-between the front seats with a gut punching gasp. The air was forced out of his lungs as the barely stifled laughter of his father filled the car. His gut was the least of his pain though. His head and nose had smacked against the hand-brake with the full force of his body behind him.

He groaned as the car went back to its usual speed. His nose throbbed, and his head ached as bad as it did when he first woke up after the attack. He was grateful to still be on pain-killers, if he wasn't he was sure he wouldn't have been able to suffer this and not scream out in pain.

"Daniel!" Max heard his mother rasp. Max didn't expect that. She sounded almost angry. On his behalf? At his father? It wasn't something he'd ever thought possible. Then he realized that she must have some sort of ulterior motive, maybe make him think she was on his side and then pull the rug out from under him. Perhaps literally.

"What? It's only a little fun." Max could hear the smirk on his father's face as he dragged himself onto the back seat, feeling around for the seatbelt and strapping himself back in.

Max then felt a small, ticklish, warm drip come from his nose. It rolled onto his lip and he could taste metal. "Great!" He thought, wiping at it with the back of his hand. He felt his blood smudge over his face, thinking that he must've looked quite the sight.

By the time they reached the house, for real this time, the blood on Max's face had dried. His mom had his prescription pain-killers on her. He wondered if he'd ever get his hands on them. Knowing his parents, they'd hoard the lot for themselves and keep using his prescription to get more. He'd never get a taste.

He scooted over to the door and tried to open it, but it was locked. "The fucking child-lock!" Max was furious. He heard his parent's doors open and slam closed. Then there was a knocking on the window of his door. He turned his head to face that way, and he just knew his dad was standing there, probably with some shit-eating grin emblazoned proudly on his face.

"You want out?" He heard the muffled voice of his father say.

"Open the damn door!" Max commanded, pushing against it with every bit of strength he could muster.