Chapter 5: Teacher

Chapter 5

The welts still hurt, even though it'd been 2 days since the belting. Max had practically dragged himself into the shower afterwards to wash away the blood dripping down the back of his thighs. It'd been the worst he'd ever gotten it, never had that man made him bleed from a belting before, and he'd gotten quite a few.

He had a new cane, all it took was another trip to the hospital, and he had a pair of those black glasses that the blind wore for some reason. The words "light-sensitivity" rung in the back of his head, but beyond that he didn't care.

Like before, he only had the sputtering exhaust of the car to listen to on the drive to school, the woman was as silent as she had been the last few days. Max still didn't trust her, even after she'd gotten his new cane, and brought his dinners to his room he guessed that she must still be trying to lure him into a false sense of security.

Well he wasn't going to fall for it, he'd learnt better.

"We're here." She rasped out, assaulting Max's nose with the smell of smoke once again.

Without a word he opened the car door and shimmied his way out, careful of his pained rear. His cane waved in front of him as he heard the woman get out too.

She placed a skeletal hand on his shoulder and together they walked into the building Max hated more than any other; his school.

He could tell by the smell. He wasn't sure what the smell was exactly, but it reminded him of stupidity and teachers, two things he hated almost as much as those two people he lived with.

A door was opened, and a hand pushed against his back, forcing him into a stuffy room.

"Good morning Mrs. Anand, and you too Maxwell." The voice of the principal made Max wanna vomit, as did the use of his full name, yet another thing he hated.

"Principal Decker." Her voice rasped.

"I'm so terribly sorry for what happened to you Max, both I and the faculty wish you a healthy recovery." His voice oozed with forced pleasantries, making Max wanna curse at him to stop with the douchey display.

"Yes, we all do." She rasped again.

Max would've scoffed if he knew that man wouldn't hear about it, but he would and the last thing he wanted was to give him a sliver of a reason to take the belt to him again.

"Ah yes!" The principal exclaimed, and the metallic rattle of a cabinet door rang through the room, followed close by the ear-drumming slam shut. "Here is the consent form for the tutor to come in and teach Max during and after school hours."

"What!?" Max yelled, feeling slighted at this news. "What do I need a goddamn tutor for!?" His fist squeezed the handle of his cane, and Max only lightened his grip because it began to sting his still-healing hand.

"Well," The principal began. "due to your disability you'll no longer be able to participate in your classes in the way you did before. So, the school has brought in a tutor to teach you important skills you'll need to go on with your education."

"Oh yeah? What kind of skills?" Max was sceptical, but the more he thought about it, the better this seemed to be. If he had to stay for extra time in school, then he would be with those 2 less. He'd also get out of that god-awful classroom more.

"Most importantly, how to read braille, and how to properly navigate yourself. I'm sure there's more that you'll be told about, but what is important is that you gain these invaluable skills now while you're still young."