Twenty-Two: Bruises

That night, and the next few nights, I go to bed with a huge smile on my face as I think about how things are going between Harry and I. Despite having a small argument with him, things are starting to look up. I am excited to further explore my relationship with him.

It doesn't take long until I'm out like a light. Through the haze of sleep, I hear an incessant buzzing sound. I don't fully notice it at first since I think it's part of my dream. I slowly lift my head and open one bleary eye. The sound is coming from the top of my nightstand. I groan and cover my head with a pillow to block it out. It finally stops and I'm almost falling back to sleep when the buzzing resumes. I mumble a series of expletives and grab my phone to put it on silent. I was having such a good dream too.

I rub my eyes and try to focus on the bright screen in front of me. My eyes widen and I quickly sit up, sure that I must be hallucinating. There are multiple texts on my phone from an unknown number. My hands start shaking and all I can do is read through them.

Unknown: Hello, Y/N
Wakey wakey
I need you to get up

I have a sinking feeling in my stomach.

Who is this? I reply.

There's an immediate response and the shaking gets worse.

Unknown: Don't ask stupid questions, Y/N. Think

Me: Logan?

Logan: Ding ding ding

I pause for a second before replying. How did you get my phone number? What do you want?

Logan: That isn't important. It's more about what you want

Me: I don't know what you're talking about? Just leave me alone

I wait a couple of seconds until he replies. A series of pictures take up the screen of my phone. Bruises. Blood. Cuts. My stomach rolls and I rush to the bathroom, certain that I'm about to throw up. All I do is end up gagging.

My phone starts buzzing again, but this time it's because of an incoming call. I waste no time debating about answering it. My fingers are shaking so hard I almost accidentally decline the call.

"What the hell are you doing to him?" I demand before he can speak.

"Nothing he doesn't deserve," Logan replies coldly. "If you want to keep him alive, I suggest you come to the address I just sent you. Alone. I'll know if you call anyone. I'm sure you know by now that I have people watching you."

"Fuck you!" I say in a shaky voice.

"You better hurry up. I don't know how much longer I can keep him alive." And on that note, he hangs up.

This can't be happening. I'm still staring at my phone after Logan has hung up. I'm in total shock, and those pictures he sent me didn't exactly help keep me calm. I can't help it. I go back and study them again. Maybe it actually isn't him. Maybe it's still a dream.

But it isn't. The pictures are taken from different angles, showing me exactly what Logan has done. Black and blue and red are painted across pale skin. There's blood matted in blonde hair and around swollen eyes.

My stomach churns. I press a fist against my mouth to keep from sobbing. "Oh, Niall. I'm sorry."

The newest message contains an address that I don't recognize and as well as a time limit. Thirty minutes exactly. No more no less.

I have an internal debate with myself. Should I call Harry? Of course I should. He will know what to do. But what if Niall  gets hurt? Should I even risk that chance? Especially since Logan said he's watching my every move. No, I shouldn't.