Eighteen: Heads Up

Niall and I are back at my place working on another project for class. This time it is a presentation on an extinct species of our choosing and we have to do research on what humans did that caused it to die off. We have already done the research part and now all we have to do is assemble the information in a PowerPoint, which is my favorite part if I am being honest.

I drag a picture of the species to the left of the slide. I can feel Niall's eyes on me. "What's up?"

"So you and Harry, huh?"

My eyes snap up to him over the top of my laptop. "What?"

"I know that you two are together now. He told me."

"Really?" I ask.

"Why are you surprised?" he replies in amusement.

I lower my screen. "I don't know. He doesn't seem like the type to talk about his feelings."

"Oh, he's not!" Niall clears up. "There was practically no feelings talk. He just thought he should tell me since I told him about you."

I shake my head. "This is so weird."

"Why?"

"I briefly dated you and now I'm with Harry."

He shakes his head, smiling. "I can't believe he actually did it. That bastard."

"What do you mean?"

"The guy's basically been in love with you the moment he laid eyes on you. I always thought it was just a crush. That's why I made the move on you first."

"Yeah, he told me that."

"Well, I never realized just how serious he was until recently. He has never been one to go after one girl." He gives me a pointed look. "I'm sure you know that."

All too well. "I guess people change."

"Sometimes they do."

My brows furrow. "Are you telling me that Harry's isn't serious about being with me?"

"No, look all I am saying is that you need to be cautious with him. He's my best friend and people do change, but not overnight. You're my friend too so I thought I should give you a heads up."

I nod. "Thanks I guess."

He turns his attention back to his laptop and the PowerPoint.

I try to focus on the task at hand, but doubts slowly creep into my mind. Why would Harry change for me? For anyone, really? But I also take into consideration the fact that Niall said Harry was practically been in love with me for a while now. He might be exaggerating. You can't feel that way about someone you barely know. You just can't.

I blow out a breath and stretch my neck from side to side. I should just stop jumping to conclusions and wait for our date tonight. The more appropriate thing I should be worrying about is what I am going to wear and where he's taking me. Especially since we can't be going out in public too much. No need to give Logan more ammunition against us.

I check the time. Harry should be here in about an hour and a half. I need to start getting ready soon. "Hey, can we finish this some other time?" I ask Niall.

He drags his eyes away from the screen. "Sure thing. You've got work?"

"No, actually. I have a date with Harry."

"So that's what he was droning on about," he jokes.

"I don't know where we're even going."

He puts his laptop into his backpack. "He might have mentioned to me where."