50th Anniversary.... sort of

It is the 50th Part of this book. I'd like to thanks all of my readers (Fans ?) For reading this book and putting up with me and my shenanigans. Let's make 50 more
   -Amber
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
At Death’s Door-Jeff Atkins

Everything hurt-there wasn’t a part of your body that wasn’t burning in pain.

Blood was the only thing you could smell-the tangy, metallic scent made your stomach churn.

Your ears were ringing, unable to clearly make out anything around you. 

You tried to blink away the blur that clouded your vision, but was unsuccessful. 

Your first thought was not of the love of your life, that you couldn’t even make out, who was slumped beside you-but of the life that you had only recently found out was growing inside of you.

Choking out a sob, your hand slowly moves to rest over your stomach. 

There was banging to your left, your hearing finally returning for the most part. Your head rolls to the side so you were facing the driver. 

You still couldn’t see clearly, but you knew Jeff wasn’t in a good condition-having taken the larger portion of the impact. “Jeff,” you cry, trying to call to him-your voice barely audible.

“Hold on, you guys! Hold on!” a male voice insisted as he pulled on the doors handle. 

“Jeff,” you try again. The smallest of groans emitted from him, you could hear your own pained groans and cries mix together as you attempt to move closer to your boyfriend. “Please,” you beg.

Jeff blinks, his hand twitches as he makes the effort to reach out to you.

“No,” you insist, managing to disconnect your seatbelt, reaching across to him yourself to clutch at his hand. “It’s okay,” you grunt, “just-” moaning at the sudden pain in your abdomen, your tears start to fall .”You can’t-leave me,” you pant. “You can’t-leave-us,” you demand.

Jeff’s pained moans send a cold shiver down your spine.

“Jeff please,” you cry, pushing through your pain. “Please,” you beg, “don’t leave me. I need you. Our-” you swallow hard, “our baby needs you.”

He forces his head to move so he was facing you, you hold back your howls as you take in his appearance. “Baby?” he asks, his voice almost as unrecognisable as his face, with all the blood that covered his skin.

You grip his hand as tightly as you could, making him groan at the contact, “I’m pregnant,” you whimper quietly. “I need you,” you mumble, your tears salty as they hit your lips. “Fight this,” you tell him firmly, “stay with me,” you continue, starting to feel a wave of nausea. 

“I promise,” he replies, sounding far away to you.

Your eyes flutter open and you were hit with the bright lights of the room-causing you to instantly shut them again.

“She’s awake,” a voice announces. “Can you open your eyes again?” they request. “Can you tell me your name?”