MUGGLES AND WIZARDS HAVE ALREADY FOUGHT EACH OTHER, AND THE MUGGLES WON

helps to explain one of the biggest plot holes in the series: why do wizards have to hide? They are clearly superior to muggles, and, if they were to live out in the open, they could hold some of the most powerful positions in the world. However, for some reason, it is incredibly important to wizards that their world stays secret, and, even stranger, they seem to have an incredibly limited knowledge of the muggle world. Some fans have theorized that the Ministry of Magic is a ministry just like any of the others in the British government, and the Minister reports to the British Prime Minister. This is a result of a war fought between muggles and wizards at some point in the Middle Ages, where muggles were somehow able to defeat the most powerful wizards and erase enough magical knowledge that they were able to create the Ministry and keep the wizarding world under wraps. This theory stems from a comment about the Ministry of Magic at the end of Goblet of Fire, when it is revealed that the ministry has to talk to the British Prime Minister about the fact that he is bringing a dragon into the country, implying that this is someone he has to report to. It's reinforced by the fact that wizards of this age appear to be significantly weaker than wizards of yore, with even the most powerful ones like Dumbledore paling in comparison to famous wizards like the Peverells and the founders of Hogwarts.