Chapter 8

Katniss P.O.V.

"Absolutely not," Haymitch says as he shakes his head.

"It's the only plan we have," Gale says. "We have to have this figured out by tomorrow."

Haymitch looks up and down the hallway to make sure no one is listening before he responds. "We are not sending Katniss is to confront Coin."

"Everything that Coin says would be recorded," Gale says.

"And what if Coin catches on?" Finnick asks.

"We'd make sure that Plutarch is in there too," Gale says. "He wouldn't let Coin do anything to her."

I look over at the window that looks into Peeta's room and take a deep breath. "I want do it," I say. "Coin's already threatened Peeta."

Gale shakes his head at me. "I don't see how you can even look at him after what he did to you yesterday."

I look back at Gale with wide eyes, but Haymitch speaks up before I can.

"It's not happening, so we need to come up with a different plan."

"Like what?" Gale asks.

I take a deep breath. "Gale is telling the truth," I say reluctantly. "We don't have very many other options."

"If we even consider it," Haymitch begins, "it wold be last resort."

"What if somebody else confronted Coin?" Finnick suggests.

"No," I say as I shake my head. "It would be too suspicious. Nobody else needs to be in danger because of me."

"We'll need a day to get it set up, so we have to decide now," Gale says.

"No," Haymitch replies. "We'll figure something out."

"By lunchtime tomorrow?" Gale asks. "And what if Coin decides to go through with the execution earlier?"

"I'll do it," I say suddenly, causing the three of them to look at me.

Haymitch shakes his head. "Katniss..."

"I don't want to. If Coin catches on, Peeta's life is on the line."

"And if you don't try, your life is in danger," Gale tells me.

"It's not me I'm worried about," I say as I rub a hand over my stomach.

"We can't be careless with this," Finnick says. "Katniss, are you sure this is what you want to do?"

"No," I say as I shake my head. "But I'm not seeing another option here." I look over at Haymitch to see a disapproving look on his face. "I have to do something," I tell him.

"This is reckless, Katniss."

"I'll be careful," I say. "Besides, if Coin does figure out what I'm up to and she retaliates, then that's also proof that she has something to hide."

"Fine," Haymitch sighs. "But I still don't like it."

"How will it work?" Finnick asks.

"Katniss will go in to talk with Coin," Gale begins. He looks over at me. "You'll try to get her to confess, but be smart about it. You can't just come out and ask her."

"I know that," I say defensively.

Gale continues. "What Coin won't know is that you'll have a recorder in your pocket. Once you get her to confess, make up a reason to leave."

"You mean if I get her to confess," I say. "And even if I do, what happens then?"

"I'll take care of it," Gale says.