Everything Looks Peaceful

"I am home." Shadows appeared, running towards James as he closed the door. The Golden Retriever slammed into James, causing him to sit down. "Calm down, Fera." Its tail wagged with joy to see its master who had just returned. "Okay, you got my attention. Are you hungry?"

Fera followed James into the kitchen. The man opened one of the shelves and took a box, Fera's food. Fish-shaped food is one of Fera's favorites. In a bowl that was placed on the floor, Fera rushed over to eat it. James smiled with satisfaction.

Time to take a break. James moved tiredly toward the sofa. His body lay relaxed. The view faces the ceiling. Too sleepy, emerald's eyes closed. Both arms above the chest.

The wind was blowing calmly. The moving skirt waved to follow. He saw her, trotting across the meadow. A beautiful smile spread wide across her beautiful face.

'I love you, James.'

The dream feels real. Beautiful and painful at the same time. The header in the hand woke James. Next to him Fera sat, looking at him with a worried expression. "It's okay, Fera, just a bad dream." Fera whined. She licked James hand as if she wanted something.

"You want to going out?" Fera barks.

"Okay, we can leave now." James got up from the couch. Picked up a jacket and a leash hanging near the door and plugged it into Fera's neck. James opened the door, let her out. They are ready for a walk.

"Look at them, so cute." James tried to ignore the lines he heard as they walked. With Fera ahead of him, it would be better for James to focus.

Nearly twenty minute walk around the park, James's feet getting tired. He found an empty bench and sat down. Fera sat nearby, staring straight. James looked back at Fera and sighed.

"You can play, but don't go too far, okay?" James let go of the leash and let Fera play while he rested his sore leg.

Lately, James's mind had drifted somewhere. Is it good if he comes back here? His hometown, Atlanta, is where all the good and bad happen. One of them, the incident. A nightmare that can never be forgotten.

James lifted his head, looked up at the blue sky and closed his eyes, enjoying the breeze.

Suddenly James heard a barking sound in the wind. His body moved quickly when he realized it was Fera's voice. He's not back yet. James walked slowly while listening to Fera's voice faint from the bush.

"Fera! Where are you, girl?" When he pushed through the bush, he could see Fera jumping around like pointing at something with a loud barking. James hugged and stroked trying to calm Fera. He looked around, there is no one there.

"Calm down, sweety." He whispered, slowly touch Fera. Her body closer to James, hug him tightly. James made sure no one was there so he release his hug from Fera.

When he stood up and raised his head, James's face turned pale. His eyes glued at one spot.

"Oh shit. Not again." He whispered.

He saw a bloodied piece of hand stuck in a tree.

*

The people from the police came. A yellow police line runs past the tree, encircling the crime scene. People started to gather behind the yellow line. Louis and Hugo came to monitor the situation. They had sent Karin to help out about an hour earlier.The two senior detectives enter the crime scene. Louis approaches one of the officers.

"So, who's calling?" Louis asked. The officer pointed to someone who was sitting on a bench stroking his dog. Louis blinked with a small grin, couldn't believe what he saw.

"Him?" The officer nodded. Louis tapped the officer on the shoulder and told him to leave. "Thank you." Louis walked over to James who was sitting, stroking a dog.

"You say didn't want to go back to this job? and here you are. What's your excuse this time?" Louis smiled slyly. Pulled out a cigarette, lit it. James's forehead frowned as he held back his anger.

"I thought so, but---". He said while stroking Fera's brown fur. "---my smart and beautiful dog found the evidence first."

Louis smirk. "Isn't she a clever one." said Louis, who was rubbing the dog's head. James put on his poker face.

"Can I sit?" James shifted his body and sat on the edge.

"My offer is still valid." Louis let out smoke from his mouth. The smoke made James wag his hands. The smell of cigarettes was quite strong and James didn't really like it.

"Like I said before, I won't come back."

Louis sigh. "Just listen to me pal, you ca--"

"Nope. Not gonna happen." James snapped. "Can I go home now?" Hugo walked over to them and looked at James with a puzzled look.

"James?" said the old man.

"Just ignore me." James gave him a wave hand. Then Hugo looked at Louis. "They want to ask for eyewitness testimony." James stares at them with disbelief expression.

"I think you'll be stuck with us again." Louis grinned again, making James sweat cold. It seems like today will be exhausted, he thought.

*

Hugo stood idly by, leaning against the door to the interrogation room. He wanted to get in, but the dog, who seemed to like him, didn't want to let go. He grabbed Fera's leash, keeping her from hanging around the office.

"The guarding part, huh?" Karin's grin made Hugo frown.

"My God, she's so beautiful." Karin crouched down, stroking the soft brown fur on her hands. Amazed how cute the Golden Retriever dog is. "What's her name?"

"Fera."

"Whose dog is this?"

"James." Hugo said.

Suddenly, Karin stopped and stared in disbelief at Fera. The dog stuck out her tongue with pleasure and then barked. "No way." She shouted with exaggeration.

In the interrogation room, James stared at the man sitting opposite him with a flat expression. the man wrote something on his note. the tap of the pen clashing against the paper sounded exasperating in his ears.

"Are you done?" the man raised his head.

"Um... A little bit more."Said the man who continued his writing.

"Hurry up, I want to go home." said James, anxiously looking at his watch. "I have to feed my dog."

The man tried to hold back laughter. After he finished writing, the man stood up. "You can go home now, Mr. Floyd, thank you for your cooperation." he said, and held out his hand. James returned the handshake and left the room.

Hugo straightened up when the door opened. The officer greets then leaves. James appeared behind him, stretching his body. "Where's Fera?"

The dog approached the crouched James. "You're not causing trouble, are you?" James smiled a little.Karin and Hugo watched silently. They smile to themselves seeing the interaction between master and his dog.

"Tell Louis, my business with him is over here." James stood up, herded Fera past them. Suddenly he stopped. "Thank you for looking after Fera." James walked again.

"He's weird." Karin said as soon as James was not seen again. "Is he always like that?"

Hugo shook his head. "He's changed since that incident."