Chapter 4 - A Dance, A Chase

Ages-
Louis- 14
Harry- 17

-

It was the little Prince's fourteenth name-day. The whole Doncaster was decorated with fairy lights and trinkets, snow covering the land like a carpet. Truly a sight to behold. The fair was in town on demand by the king, a celebration for his younger son. A ball dance was to be held in the evening. Many royals were invited from surrounding lands to join in the celebration.

The town was bustling from the liveliness of the fair, and the galloping horses and carriages welcoming the royalties. The castle maids were busy preparing chambers for the stay of guests, warming baths, fluffing mattresses, cleaning even the smallest speck of dust, lighting lanterns, cooking meals and evening feast. It was all busy, busy, busy.

While everyone was overlooking some task or the other, the little Prince was sitting all by himself on a hilltop. His expression was sullen despite it being his birthday. Everyone was celebrating the day for him but not with him. He knew they were busy and didn't blame them. His brother had offered him to join him for a walk in the park, but what would he do their surrounded with older omega lasses fawning over the future ruler of land.

Another reason behind his glum mood was the absence of his lover. Sitting up here he could see each and every passer by, as they entered and left the town, and his alpha still hadn't arrived. The Cheshire royals had arrived a day prior like many others, but not Harry. His little heart was breaking. His alpha seemed to have forgotten his birthday and had not replied to any of his letters in the past two weeks.

"Prince Louis? Is that you?" A curious voice asked behind him and the omega quickly wiped his tears before turning to face the intruder.

A small smile curled at his mouth as he nodded at Prince Derek of Rotherham. He was going to stand but the alpha Prince rather chose to sit beside him, maintaining an appropriate distance since Louis was betrothed to the Cheshire Prince.

"What are you doing here all alone? You should join in the celebration."

Louis only knew the Prince because of formalities, he had never been fond of meeting new people and befriending them, especially since Harry despised knowing any other alpha had been near him. But since Harry couldn't bother with giving him the attention he seeked, couldn't care about writing him back or being present at his nameday, he could too choose to go against the alpha. Also Prince Derek had been engaged to Lady Christine of Barnsley and was loyal to her, therefore Louis saw no danger in his company.

He shrugged at the alpha's question. "I was not feeling up to it."

"Hmm, would you mind if accompany you here?"

"Not at all. I would prefer some company to cheer my mood," he offered another smile to Derek.

The alpha did entertain him for the most part of afternoon, making him laugh and keeping him indulged with his talks and wisdom. So much so that he missed the three horses riding in, all proudly displaying the emblem of Cheshire monarch. People parted their ways naturally for the Prince as Cheshire was the strongest kingdom.

The young Prince only became aware of that when a castle rider came looking for him, huffing as if he had been searching for him for awhile, which he might have been.

The rider bowed in respect to the two Princes before speaking. "Prince Louis, the Cheshire Prince is here and your father has requested your presence."

Louis had a look of defiance on his face as he spoke. "Tell him that I am busy, my father will understand."

The man hesitated before speaking again, "Pardon me, my Prince, but Prince Harry has requested to see you. He is waiting for you in his chamber."

"Do I need to speak twice? I am busy, I'll see him when I wish to."