Casualties Of Business

Brian's P.O.V

When we were driving home I could help but think about my father. Couldn't help but think about the last time I saw him. The last time I saw him I was 15 I hadn't seen him in 2 years. The only reason he was home was because mom had passed away a month earlier. He missed his own wife's funeral because he couldn't pass up the opportunity to make an extra 100,000 on a business deal.

Ethan was 18 at the time and already acting as our "parent figure" he was just about to graduate high school. He had a academic scholarship to Princeton, a full ride. He was always the brains of the family.

My dad came home, we were all excited to see him especially Jaxon, he hadn't seen him since he was ten years old. We made up his room real nice, we made sure all of his favorite food was in the house. Before he came home the last time, He had disappeared for two years. My dad had always been transient but he used come home normally every month or two for a week. He always came home at major holidays too. But when our mothers health started declining he no longer wanted to come home.

When he got home he came into the house pulled Ethan aside and said "Your in charge just make sure they graduate." He handed Ethan a credit card and left. He stayed at a fucking hotel up the road. Like he couldn't be bothered with his six kids who just lost their fucking mom, the only person who bothered to stick around.

That was the only time I had ever known Ethan to get mad. He stormed upstairs into our parents room and just starting throwing all of our dads shit into a box. All of his clothes, books, journals etc. He took them up to the hotel and dropped them off for our dad to take. No one ever spoke of it not dad, not Ethan, and certainly on of us. That was the last time we saw him, the next time he could even be bothered to call was when he told us he got married and that the woman's daughter would be coming to live with us and that her me name was Dani.

Now I'm not gonna lie we weren't exactly thrilled when we found out we had a step sister coming to live with us mostly because we knew her mom was 35 so we figured she'd be like 8 years old. Ethan was the most upset about it because that meant an extra 7 years of playing house.

When Dani did show up and we obviously realized she wasn't 8 we were all surprised and it suddenly didn't seem so bad having a step sister...especially to me..

I just don't understand why he picked now to come home, especially when things are going so good at the house. Luca and I are graduating, Joseph, Jaxon and Dani are starting their senior year soon. Weston just got a promotion and Ethan is almost done playing house. One more year and we could have all avoided him. I shook my head and kept driving obsessing, over it wouldn't change a damn thing.

I looked over at Dani, she was curled up in a ball on the seat. She looked adorable, she must have passed out once the ride started, I hadn't even noticed. I can't help but go back to what happened last night. Fuck, she was so damn beautiful. I can't believe she let me see her like that I can't believe she let me make her feel good. As much as I wish we had had sex last night I'm kinda glad we didn't. I don't want the first time we do to be the first time she felt something like that I want to build up to it.

I take a right into our driveway, I park the car then gently shake Dani. "Hey, hey Dani baby time to wake up." I said softly. Her eyes opened slowly, she was a little disoriented at first but once she stretched she was alert.

"We're home?" She asked looking up at the house. I just laughed and nodded, we got out of the car and took our bags inside.

"Ethan!" I yelled as I came in the house, he didn't respond but walked into the kitchen where I could see him. Me and Dani both took a seat at the bar.