Chapter 8 Prom And Broken Promises

Just when I thought things couldn't have gotten any worse from the point where I kept my feelings bottled up about Alex and everything else that happened during my last year of high school I managed to score my own spot, in the book of shame.

 Things did get better when I met Lucas, but it also made things complicated because of the simple fact that I was still hiding out in closet town population of one.

 I had finally gotten a better prospective on everything but when you think of things getting worse you don’t imagine yourself being on a website for gays floating around your high school hallways. 

Prom was finally here and I was still going with Emily, I planned on meeting  her at her house and then we would go from there, I can’t believe I’m actually showing my face, the best thing I can do is blend in and try to keep a low profile.

The night of the prom was memorable and not only was it prom but it was also the night that I came out, there was no turning back.

I wore a black suit with a dark blue vest and what other color would Emily wear but her signature black.

“Well don’t we look pretty.” Emily smiled stepping down from the stairs of her house. 

“Yeah I guess I have to give them something else to stare at for once.” 

“Right, I’m glad you decided to come after all that has happened, it takes a lot of balls.”

“Yeah well lets just get this over with.” I walked over to the passenger side of Emily’s car like it was the first.

"Shall we?” Emily jingled her keys and hopped in on the other side. 

We arrived in front of a huge hall were people were parking and jumping out of fancy rental cars and limos with suites, ties, and long flowing dresses. 

“Wow they went all out for this one.” Emily took it all in, peering up at the building from the car. 

We parked and  then stood in the door way of a laughter and dance filled room decorated in the theme of a night in pairs.

Emily grabbed a seat next to some people she knew and I became a permanent wall flower for the next couple of hours, until I saw Lucas make his appearance.

Just seeing him made my heart skip a beat and my breathe was taken away by his whole attire, he wore a plum purple button down underneath a black tux and his hair was ever so nicely combed back.

After awhile I realized that he had danced with a few people to most of the songs and hadn't even  noticed I was there, so I stepped out into the hallway sitting down on a bench.

I looked around and saw that  people were glued together and others were busy talking on the phone missing every thing that was happening inside, but who was I to talk I was missing just as much as they were.

 I stared down at my hands then I saw feet appear near mine. 

“Mind if I sit here?” Lucas graced me with his presents. 

“Uh sure...” I scooted over gazing up at him he plopped down next to me. 

“So why are you out here?” 

"Just thought I’d, get some air...” 

“Oh, okay so it has nothing to do with me then?” 

“No why would it?” I chuckled trying to play it off.

“Well Matthew I danced with almost everyone but you, but you wouldn't dance with me anyways.” 

There was a slight pause because it was true, even if he had asked me I would be to shy and that’s not exactly keeping a low profile.