The Big Game

It's a cold evening outside as the Auttum leaves, under the setting Sun that has just begun to fall behind the horizon, allowing only a few minutes before it reaches the peak of its beauty above the array of the red, orange, and yellow trees of the forest around the school where Shawn zips up his jacket, waiting outside the arena to be greeted by Abigail and Lucy. He types on his phone as per usual, to deal with the intense noise of the game within, alone, unable to deal with such a roaring crowd as the players take the field and the game is ready to start. He had always had an issue with loud noises, they would always hurt his ears but he would keep quiet about this to others and deal with it, often carrying noise canceling headphones during pep rallies.

Due to the fear Abigail would notice such a device and take it as rude, he did not bring them.

Speaking of which, Abigail and Lucy begin to approach the stadium, Lucy decked out in school merchandise and an eager grin.

"You really like football huh?" Abigail inquires as Lucy takes out a cap with the school's mascot on it and puts it on.

"Nah not really," Lucy admits, "I'm a hockey gal myself. I just like birds and wanna be supportive to my girlfriend."

"That's fair," Abigail shrugs, "so you said we're meeting someone else?"

"Yeah," Abigail explains, "you know Shawn?"

"We meeting him," Lucy inquires, "nice."

"Yeah," Abigail replies, "but I wanna ask you something. Does he ever seem kinda... off to you?"

"Off how?" Lucy inquires, "I don't know him that well remember?"

"I dunno," Abigail admits, "he just acts kinds quirky. Like, he'll act really distant and stuff and then if you bring up writing he's suddenly really energetic and focused."

"I dunno," Lucy shrugs, "I don't think we should bring it up to him though. He could get offended. I mean, I know I would if I was called weird."

"Yeah same here," Abigail admits, "so let's not."

The two greet Shawn, waving as they spot him outside the stadium where he waves back, smiling as he looks up from the tale he types, but still clicking away as he addresses the two.

"Hey guys what's up?" He greets.

"Not much," Abagail replies, "how about you?"

"I'm doing alright," Shawn replies, "you guys ready to go?"

"Totally," Lucy smiles.

"Hey you're Lucy aren't you?" Shawn inquires, "Ally told me about you. Nice to finally meet."

"Nice to meet you too," Lucy smiles back, "let's head in shall we?"

The trio enter the arena, the bleachers looming over them, going high into the sky with enough seats for the over one thousand students at the school, the bleachers are filled with a roaring crowd as the trio find seats in the middle of the bleachers, high enough to see the field but not so far as to the players are to far to see in detail. Shawn sits next to Abigail, who sits between him and Lucy as the game is about to begin.

"I'm gonna go grab some food," Shawn explains getting up, "what do you guys want?"

"I don't really know what they have," Abigail admits.

"You guys do that," Lucy suggests, "and I'll save our seats."

"Got it," Shawn smiles, "you want a hot dog? Nachos?"

"Nachos with cheese and beef yeah," Lucy replies.

"Got it," Abigail smiles, "we'll be back."

The two walk down the bleachers, Shawn is overwhelmed by nervousness, the fear of Abigail learning the truth. He takes a deep breath and turns to look back at the field, where Johnny spots him as he goes out onto the field, spotting Shawn and nodding at him in acknowledgement to assure him he has nothing to worry about. The attempt is appreciated, but does little to calm Shawn's fears.