The Winner Was...

He spins around in his black swivel chair, the woman calmed and her friend on her way to the hospital. His cubicle is grey and would be bleak if not for his own personal touch of comic book posters and a gaming themed mousepad at his desk. He thinks about the girl he just spoke to. He had heard her name before but for some reason where the one hundred sixty pound, fair skinned, blue eyed, and brown haired man heard it has left him. He wonders how his fiancee is doing taking care of what happened at her job a few days ago. Sure was a crazy incident from what he had heard. He decides to text her.

Hoppy receives a text from her boyfriend that reads, "how's the kid holding up?"

Hoppy texts back, "he's fine. How's your day going sweetie?"

The texts proceed as follows...

Greg: Pretty good. Had an odd call earlier. Got some caller that I think I heard the name of somewhere.

Hoppy: What was her name?

Greg: Abigail.

Hoppy: OMG what happened?

Hoppy: Is she OK?

Greg: Yeah. Her friend Lucy is the one who passed out.

Greg: Why do you ask?

Hoppy: Cause that's the girl Shawn was with when he passed out Friday.

Greg: Oh. That's where I heard her name.

Hoppy: So Lucy, what happened to her?

Greg: Sounded like exhaustion. I'm not certain though.

Hoppy: Oh. Well, I better tell Shawn. Talk to you have work. Love you.

Greg: Love you too.

The hospital is cool, almost cold, but the sterile and clean atmosphere does not feel without compassion. However the white and quiet halls feel empty, despite the staff's attempts to make the patients feel at home.

Lucy awakens in her hospital bed, an IV bag pumping nutrients directly into her blood mixed with water to prevent dehydration. Ally is at the edge of her bed, her eyes red from crying as Lucy stirs.

"Ally?" She asks weakly.

"Oh my God!" Ally breaks down crying again, "you're OK!"

The two embrace, as Abigail sits in the background, her nervousness relived as she smiles at the touching reunion before her.

"Why did you do this?" Ally demands ending the hug and looking Lucy in the eye, her voice soft and saddened, "why did you do this? I can't stand you getting hurt. I thought I'd lose you."

Lucy sighs, almost crying herself as she explains, "I... I can't lose to her again. That track meet, speed, it's all I got. I'm not smart, I'm not creative, I'm average everywhere else. Except  history but who cares? I'm fast, and that's all I am. That's why I have to be the best."

Lucy wipes her girlfriend's tear, "do you understand?"

"What..." Abigail sighs, "what did the girl look like? Was she blonde?"

Lucy nods, "and if I ever find her I swear..."

"It's me," Abigail admits.

"What?" Lucy glares.

"I won last year," Abigail sighs, "I'm sorry. I can't watch you hurt yourself and sit idly by anymore."

Lucy sits in shock for a moment and demands, "why couldn't you lose!?!"

Tears stream down Lucy's face as she tries to get up but is unable to do so, especially with Ally easing her down and trying to diffuse the situation pleading, "Lucy, please. You're exhausted and not thinking clearly. Rest please. Abiagil is our friend, just like Shawn is. Don't-"

"That was my shot dammit!" Lucy exclaims, "that was my shot at a huge scholarship and you took it away from me! That was my chance! If I had won that race..."

"Oh I'm sorry," Abigail glares back, offended, "pardon me for doing my best! You don't know the shit I've been through. Everything I've lost, why I moved..."

Abigail holds back tears as Lucy screams, "I thought we were friends Abigail! You ruined my life!"

"I don't have to take this!" Abiagil exclaims, "fuck you!"

Abiagil storms out, crying as Lucy burries her head into her arms also weeping, both just lost their best friend...

Ally dashes after Abigail. "Wait!" She pleads as Abigail approaches the exit of the hospital, "she didn't mean it I swear!"

"This isn't between us," Abigail explains, "we're still friends."

"Abigail," Ally pleads, "please don't go. We can fix this! We can-"

Abigail shakes her head and explains, "if she wants to apologize she can say it to my face. OK? I'm outta here. See you Saturday."

Abigail leaves, forcing Ally into a tight spot. Her girlfriend and her girlfriend's best friend are fighting. What's a gal to do?...

Ally: I need your help.

Johnny: I'm all ears.

Ally: Abigail and Lucy are fighting.

Johnny: Oh. How come?

Ally: She's the girl who won last year's track meet.

Johnny: Shit. Should we get Shawn involved?

Ally: Nah, let's let him rest. I should text him later actually.

Johnny: I should too. So tell me what happened.

Ally: In detail?

Johnny: Yes please.

Ally: OK so long story short...

Shawn is writing a story. He writes, "he wanted to be happy. He truly did, but he became obsessive and pushed himself to far. Honestly though, he didn't regret it. He was just happy to see her smile. He knew he had to rest but he had tales to tell, and he missed her. Not to mention being a bother to the kind woman who let him stay with her and her fiance due to his illness. He would've gone home but his parents just didn't give half a shit about him, so he stayed. He was such a burden. At least he had his friends, but he wasn't useful. He had to be useful to them, or they'd learn his secret..."

Shawn puts his phone away as he struggles to stay awake, getting up slowly and stiffly to look over Hoppy's manuscript, leaving notes as he mutters to himself, "have to keep working. Have to be useful. They won't figure it out if I'm useful. I'm useful. I'm useful..."