♥Chapter Thirty-One ~ The Talk♥

My dad is home tonight, preparing a dinner for the two of us. We've talked about school and such, as usual, trying not to talk about things that can cause a conversation to go silent. I'm just glad he's home, with me, no meetings. He's wearing his apron that I haven't seen him where in who knows how long. 

"You know, Samantha said some things to me in school today that kind of hurt me, and even scared me," I say, breaking the small silence that was filling the room.

My dad exhales without looking and me and says, "What did she say?"

"She was telling me about how Adam is pathetic since he's an orphan and that our relationship is nothing. She called us scumbags and little children. She even told me to drop dead and if I did, she wouldn't care, she'd just continue on with her life."

"Don't worry about her, Lauren. She's just upset because I kicked her out of the house. She is almost out of school and doesn't know how behave. She's a child in an adult's body. Anything she says shouldn't be taken as a threat, she likes to see you hurt and afraid, but as far as I know, I don't think she'll bring any real harm," he says, flipping over some food in the pan.

Any real harm? Does he not know all of the harm she has already caused? No real harm? She's been harming me every single day of my life since our mother died, and she doesn't care. She likes to inflict pain on me for her own amusement, she has demons and I'm sure she'd do more than just make hurtful remarks which is the reason why I am so afraid. I know what she's capable of.

Suddenly, I think back to what I just said. I just said that Adam is an orphan and my dad didn't even bother to acknowledge it, he didn't even flinch.

I try and change the subject quickly before having to go even more deeply into this conversation.

"Hannah wanted me to ask you if it's okay that I go to a Spring Break trip with them," I say.

"When, where, and how long?" He inquires but still paying attention to his cooking.

"The day after Spring Break starts. It's going to be at that hotel by the beach, a group of us are going and probably a week tops. We'll be back before school starts up again." I inform him.

"Alright, well then it's okay with me," he smiles.

"Thanks, Dad."

"And will Adam be going?"

"Uh, he hasn't really gave an answer, but we did ask him."

My dad nods and then turns to look at me, putting down his spatula to actually look at me.

"How are you and Adam?" He asks, leaning on the counter.

"We're great," I smile. "He, uh, told me that he loves me."

My dad perks up and smiles. Not the dad reaction I was expecting, but I don't mind this one at all. I actually welcome it.

"Do you love him back?"

I look at him and blush, I don't why I blush but I do. It's just an instinct. I do love Adam, a lot. I've been dying for him to tell me that he loves me and the fact that he did just brings a smile to my face all the time.

"Yes, Dad. I'm in love with him," I admit.

~~

Adam

Everyone is here at home, my foster parents, and even my three 'brothers'. Each of them are here and yet the house still feels empty. I can hear Nick and John laughing upstairs, but I don't hear Joel's voice. I know that if we were here alone, he'd come down, but since he doesn't want Nick and John to know that he's been giving me information, then he has to keep a low cover.