Chapter 2: Some Lines Are Too Thin

I sat in the hospital bed, waiting for the diagnosis. Some tests were taken along with an ultrasound scan. The bleeding stopped a little bit after I arrived in the emergency room.

The last time I'd seen Tricia was about 20 minutes ago, she left the room dialing a number. Waliyha and Saffa sat in the chairs across from me, half asleep. We'd been here over an hour.

Tricia came back in, "The doctor is coming."

The door opened right behind her and the doctor came back in.

When she got to the edge of my bed, she looked me straight in the eye, "There's been...a complication."

"What kind of complication?" Tricia interjected.

My doctor shifted her weight to her other foot, "The ambilical cord was wrapped around the fetus and there was nothing we could do fix it-"

"So it was a miscarriage?" Tricia demanded.

The doctor nodded, "Yes, I'm afraid so. I'm very sorry about your loss."

Silence filled the room. My hands covered my mouth. I bit my lip to keep the tears from falling, to be strong.

"I will say that you are still healthy to reproduce and nothing was your fault, it was just an accident that happens."

I sat there in shock. My baby, Elle, was gone? How could something like this happen?

"You're free to leave whenever you wish. I know I probably shouldn't suggest this, but eating all of your favorite things might help you feel better. And keeping busy, that does help. I know for a fact."

She gave a half-hearted smile and turned. As soon as I heard the door shut, I couldn't hold it in. The tears fell down nonstop. There's a thin line between life and death, but how thin is it when you haven't even been born?

Tricia came over and tried to comfort me. She rubbed my back soothingly, and said, "Let's go home."

On the way home, I got a text from Zayn. It was hard to read through my blurry vision.

I love you so much, I hope you know that. xx

When we got back to the house, I went straight into the shower. No one could bother me there and my tears mixed in with the water. I just sat in there and cried. This was the worst emotional pain I've ever experienced.

I almost cried myself to sleep in there, but the hot water ran out so I dried off and went into the room I was staying in. I changed into a pair of fresh clothes and crashed on the bed and immediately fell asleep.