Chapter 3: I'm an Elephant

I felt the bed dip down a little too much for it to be one of the girls or Tricia. Someone was sitting on the edge next to me.

"Babe," my brain recognized the whisper-voice.

I turned over and he flicked on the lamp next to my bed. His hair wasn't in its normal quiff. It was flat and combed to the side of his face and he looked tired. He wore a Boyce Avenue t-shirt and sweatpants. I glanced at the clock; 11:38 p.m.

"I've missed you so much," he spoke softly, even his voice sounded tired.

"Aren't you on tour?" 

"Forget about the tour for five minutes and listen. My mom called me earlier and told me about what happened. I got you something, I hope it'll cheer you up," he reached on the other side and brought around a huge stuffed elephant.

I held the elephant on my stomach and said, "Knowing you, there's some special meaning behind this so go ahead."

He cracked one of his most famous Zayn Malik smiles.

"There is. Elephants are unique and I had to research them one time. When the mother elephant looses her baby, the herd gathers around her in a big circle. Not a single one of them urges her to keep moving, they all stand around, and let her mourn the loss. Some will place their trunks on her as a sign of affection and they will stay there for as long as it takes for the mother to grieve. That's why I got you an elephant. I want you to know that I'm here. I always have been and I will be."

I turned my head away and let the tears flow that I held in. I used to wish that Zayn wasn't as sweet as he is, but at this moment, I take that back.

"I got you one more thing," he said.

I wiped my face and looked at him. He held out a pink and grey jumper that had an elephant on it, the trunk was one of the sleeves.

Zayn's caring and thoughtfulness left me speechless. I had never seen him this way, especially in the past week or two, as the end of the tour was just around the corner.

"I don't know why this happened, love. I just know that we're going to get through this."

"How long are you here for?"

"Just tonight, we have three more shows, then I'll be back for a while, I promise."

"Can you stay the night?"

"Yes," he stood up and slid off his shirt and pants then pulled up the covers and crawled into bed next to me.

His warmth engulfed my body and made me drowsy. After a few minutes, I could hear him softly snore.

"Zayn?" I whispered.

"Mmmmm?"

"I love you."

"I love you more," he turned over and wrapped his arms around me tight, kissing my forehead.