Report 36: Good-bye

Saturday, November 11th

???? am/pm. Unknown

I raced down the corridor toward Jeremy who flickered in the dark as he passed through each overhanging light. The yellow glaze from the old lighting. I couldn't see the person ahead of him. Only Jeremy. He finally turned a corner and was out of my sight. I held the grip of my gun as hard as ever. Tonight, this was ending one way or another. I didn't have myself on the menu for body bags. His would have to do. I reached to corner, stopping only to check the room. There was a single light in the center of the room. That was my spotlight. Jeremy passed under it, again led by the darkness. Vanished from my field of vision. I slowly took my step out and toward the single light. I called out.

"Jeremy! I know you're in here!" I called, pointing my gun at ever movement in the shadows.

Soon, the lights around me flickered on. I knew whose handy work that was. He just wanted to see the scene with full stage lights. Guess in his age, you can't see much in the dark except the movement of shadows and the flashing of lights. Jeremy stood very still, his gun held up on the air. Then, he quickly turned towards me and fired. I jumped behind a well placed crate. I can thank him for that. I pointed my gun back at Jeremy over the top of the box.

"Jeremy, it over!" I chanted again, "Don't make me do this."

"Please, just go away, Keith," sniffed Jeremy, "You can't take on McCloy."

"I know that by now. But, that doesn't mean you have to be added to the millions of lives McCloy used to win his power. Just drop the gun and turn yourself in."

"I can't do that either."

"So you're saying you'll protect this man? The one who killed Alex and is going to kill me, Logan, and Mike?"

"Who ever stands in the way of McCloy must be stopped. That Is what I am paid to do."

"So you turn traitor again after all these years. We were your friends!"

"That was then, this is now! McCloy gave me an extended paycheck as long as I keep Spyglass from ever posing a problem."

"That's right..." said a voice.

I could see someone drawing closer to Jeremy from behind. His face, covered in the same shadows he hunted down and killed for a living. Blood, dripping down from his cheek. All those lives he stepped out, just to get what he wanted. It was Steven McCloy.

"McCloy," I yelled, "Planning to turn yourself in?"

"A bit of an over statement coming from a man in your position," said McCloy, "Don't you think?"

"Nah... I got you right where I want you!"

"And what about your friend here. Is he where you want him?"

I peeked my head over the top of the box. McCloy had him held up with a gun. Did he really mean to shoot Jeremy.

"Why are you pointing the gun at him?" I yelled, "I thought I was the one in the way?"

"You may think of me as dumb," said McCloy, "But, I've seen this same story once before."

I ducked behind the box again, pounding the hard concrete below, with my fist. He knew Jeremy and I were faking. But, how?

"Alright, you got me!" I said, walking out from behind the box.

"Ah... Kane. I almost thought it was Mike or Logan chasing me," said McCloy.

"Yeah, well. Once I saw you run. I just had to stop you. You know from the years of being an officer in all. Can't let them escape."

"Not for much longer. Your friend here was selling you out from the beginning. Back when you were... oh, whatever you called yourself."