Chapter three:Butterscotch

Brinley's POV:

I awoke to a light tapping on my face. I rolled over and saw my 13-year-old sister staring intensely at me.

I looked away and raised up. A massive headache erupted making me grab my temple.

"What time is it?" I asked as I rubbed my eyes. I yawned and reached down to grab my glasses.

"7." She said, with a wicked smile on her face.

"Are you actually kidding me?" I yelled, pushing her out of the way. I ran to the closet and rummaged through the clothes.

I slipped my wrinkled uniform on and I saw her standing there all dressed up and looking nice for school. She laughed and ran to the bathroom.

"Seraphine, when I get my hands on you!" I ran after her. She slammed the bathroom door closed and I heard her laughing.

"Sera," I knocked on the door, "Sera, come on."

No sound came from the bathroom. I was used to this. Good thing I kept an extra supply of everything in my room.

I quietly walked back to the room we "shared." I opened the box from under my bed and started getting ready.

10 minutes later, I looked presentable. I put the box quickly back under my bed as Sera entered the room.

She saw me all ready and she stuttered, "I-I'll go start the c-car."

She moved out of the way as I grabbed my bag and flounced out of the room, her wide eyes looking at me and my attire. She quietly walks behind me with her head hung low.

Serves her right to mess with me. Not today.

Kyra's POV:

I woke up at 7:00 and quietly started getting ready. I slipped on my maroon uniform and matching shoes.

I tiptoed to my bathroom and tried to make sense of the blob of purple that was my hair.

After I was done, I sat down on my firm bed and sighed. A cloud of black filled my sight as I closed my eyes. Quiet...still...

All of the sudden, like a herd of elephants, I heard 2 pairs of tiny feet running to my room. My door burst open, hitting the dented wall behind it.

"Ky Ky!" yelled Sophia, my 3-year-old sister.

"What?" I said in a sing-song voice, being tranced out of my sleep.

"I'm hungry.." She placed her hands on my thighs and leaned close to my face.

I pressed my nose against hers and closed my eyes. "Ok," I said quietly.

I turned to the twin of Sophia. "Are you hungry too, Bailey?"

Bailey nodded quietly and politely. I couldn't help but smile at her politeness.

I got up from the bed and took Bailey's small sticky hand. We walked out of my bedroom; Sarah raced after us.

As I entered the dining room, I saw my mom sitting at the table smoking a cigarette. I didn't make eye contact as I entered the kitchen.

I prepared the little ones and myself each a bowl of cereal. I walked over to the kitchen table and set the bowls down.

Sophia climbed into her seat and enjoyed the cereal. I lightly placed Bailey in her booster seat and handed her a spoon.

As I sat down, I could feel my mom's eyes burning into me. I picked up the spoon and started eating.

"Where were you yesterday?" I tensed up at the sound of my mom's stern voice.

"With Brinley," I said quietly.

She slammed her fist on the table, making us all jump. "Speak up!" she screamed.

"With Brinley," I said louder than before.

"God," she said taking another puff of her cigarette, "My daughter hanging out with such a despicable girl."

"There's nothing wrong with her," I said trying to defend my friend.

She turned to me, her eyes red and angry. "Don't even act like you don't notice how she looks at you. All bright-eyed and smiling all the damn time. My daughter hanging out with someone like...that. Disgusting."

I hung my head and continued eating. The air filled with smoke making it hard for me to breathe. I grabbed my bowl and walked into the kitchen.

I turned around and my mom grabbed my wrist. " I don't want you to hang out with her anymore." She tightened her grip.

"Understand?"

"No." I pulled my hand loses.

"I just don't want you to end up like her. Like a-"

"So what if I'm a lesbian, mom? She isn't and I'm not either. Now just stop."

"She looks at you like she could bite your lips off, Kyra!"

I walked away and started climbing the stairs to my room. I grabbed my stuff and walked back down.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw her and the kids sitting at the kitchen table. I could feel my mom's eyes death staring me.

I kissed the little ones on their foreheads and walked out of the house. I grabbed my phone out of my coat pocket.

After a few rings, Brinley answered.

"Moshi Moshi?" The familiar voice filled my ears and I immediately relaxed.

"Hey, Brin, could you..um..pick me up? I missed the bus."

Silence followed my question until, "Yeah sure."

"Alright. See you in a bit." I hung up the phone and waited.