Chapter four: Pineapple

Brinley's POV:

With Kyra sat beside me, I started fidgeting with the steering wheel. The annoying pop music from the radio quietly played over the silver speakers.

Once we made it to school, before I could even put the car in park, Kyra grabbed her stuff and jumped out.

"Kyra, you can't just do that!" I yelled after her

Kyra continued along up the stairs and disappeared in the crowd of maroon.

I put the car in park and stayed sitting. I stared at the heavy metal doors, like I was starting at the entrance to hell. I leaned my head against the steering wheel.

After a few minutes, I heard the bell ring and I lifted my head. I grabbed my stuff from the backseat and got out of the car.

I walked into the portal to hell, not feeling confident at all. At least I had a whole weekend to look forward to....

END OF SCHOOL

Brinley's POV:

I called my mom telling her I wasn't going to be home today. She, of course, yelled for about 10 minutes but finally gave in.

"Just don't hang out with guys. Also, keep away from alcohol. And..."

"Mom, I get it. Please. Can I go have fun without maids and waiters waiting on me? I want to be a normal high schooler."

A sigh entered my ear as she continued, "Alright. As long as you are by yourself. NO BOYS!"

"Bye, mom." I quickly pressed the end call button before she could tell me not to bring a baby home.

I pulled up to Kyra's house. She ran outside with a duffel bag in hand.

"Are you gonna tell me where we're going?" she said as she threw her bag into the back of the car.

"Just wait and see."

"Oh goody, more surprises." she smiled awkwardly. She glanced at the aux cord.

"May I?" she asked, pointing.

"Knock yourself out."

A FEW HOURS LATER

We pulled into the hotel parking lot. I reached back and grabbed my stuff. I saw Kyra, wrinkled placed on her forehead. She tilted her head slightly and looked at me in confusion.

"Sorry. Couldn't spend the weekend at my house unless you want to be waited on 24/7."

"Nah, it's cool." She grabbed her duffel and slammed the door shut.

We walked into the fancy building. I stepped towards the counter as Kyra marveled at the decor.

"One room please," I said, setting my credit card on the counter. I awkwardly rubbed my thighs, for my hands had gotten sweaty.

The man leaned sideways to look at Kyra.

"One king?" He said, raising his eyebrows.

I turned and look at Kyra. "No no no. 2 singles. Please."

"Alright," he said hesitantly as he swiped my card.

I received the card and the room key. I raced over to Kyra and grabbed her hand, startling her.

"Let's go," I said waving the key.

We rode the elevator in silence, still holding hands. I got to our room and I slid the bright green card into the slot.

Kyra's POV:

I turned on the lights to the extravagant room. "How..?" I asked, looking at the crystal chandelier glittering by the light of the open window.

"Don't ask." Brinley set her bags on the floor and dove for the cream white bed. She landed face first and sighed.

I watched her back moving up and down as she breathed. So rhythmic...so slow...

I shook my head and joined her. I sat beside her and she continued to lay there.

She rolled over onto her back. "So." She raised up and looked at me. "You ready?"

I blushed and looked down. I started fidgeting with my hair, trying not to make eye contact.

"Not that, silly." Brinley lightly punched me in the arm.

I sighed and turned to her.

"It was going on for a while now. It used to be little things. Lightly hitting my arm when he was joking. Nothing bad. But..then..it got worse. Slapping me, punching me, kicking..." My voice trailed off. "He would come over really drunk, swearing and... and he...."

I started crying at this point. "He hurt me really bad Brin. He..he.." Tears ran down my warm cheeks.

Brinley leaned over and hugged me tightly.

"I didn't want to, Brin. But he forced me..and now.."

"Now what?" She said shakily.

"I haven't had my period this month."

Brinley's pretty eyes full of crystals widened.

"Oh my god, Kyra. I...you...we need to go to the doctor!" She grabbed my hand and started to stand.

"No. Not now." I pulled back to the bed.

"Kyra, this is serious. You're 17! You're not ready!" Her eyes darted everywhere, as if looking for something. She violently started running her hands through her hair, making it stand up.

"Does he know?" She quietly asked, her hand still in her hair.

"I haven't talked to him since he ditched me the other day. But I did get this. After it happened."

I stood up and walked over to my bag. I fished my phone out and went to my messages.

Once I found what I was looking for, I turned the screen to her.

T: Had a great time last night ;) Can't wait to see you tomorrow

She stared at the screen in shock. "That jerk!" She yelled as she threw the phone across the room.

She leaned her head on her legs. "I couldn't protect you.." She said between tears.

"Brin, it's not your fault." I placed my hand gently on her back. "Come here."

I wrapped my arms around her fragile body and held on tightly. Her body immediately relaxed and she sobbed into me. Tears welled up in my eyes and I joined her.

I laid down, still holding her tight. We fell asleep to the sound of each other's pain.