Chapter 6

Being the hero of National City sometimes sucked. Currently both Kara and Barry were laying on matching tables in the DEO, with Alex and Hank pulling cuticle shards from wounds that refused to heal. The alien bio material needed to be removed, millions of microscopic spines making the process of removal slow and painful. Due to both of their metabolisms, neither one were able to be given any sort of painkiller.

"This sucks." Barry complained as Hank slowly applied acid to the shards before removing them and covering the wounds to let them heal. "Does this happen often?

"More than you know." Alex replied.

"It isn't always shards and barbs. Sometimes it's slime, or fire, or mad fighting skills." Kara elaborated. "The universe is full of countless forms of life. Some are peaceful, but many are not."

"It's still jarring seeing you be wounded sweetheart." Barry reached out and Kara clasped his hand in hers. His thumb caressed the back of her hand, squeezing periodically as Hank worked more barbs out of his skin. The pain in his voice at seeing her vulnerable made Supergirl wish she could laugh it off as a one time event, but she knew it wasn't.

"Kara is nearly invulnerable, but even with her powers given to you by your yellow sun, there are some creatures that have a way of inflicting harm." Hank's voice was gravely and even, just like the temperament of his true Martian self.

"Normally her wounds are internal. Even if her skin can't be penetrated, if beaten hard enough, her internal organs will be punished. Luckily she heals quickly."

"All the shrapnel is out." Alex spoke up, moving back she flipped on the bank of solar radiation panels hanging over Kara. With a sigh she closed her eyes and soaked in the golden glow. Barry's hand around hers began to vibrate, and she knew that he was repairing the damage done to his body as well.

"Do you think you're powered up enough the leave?" She heard Barry move to stand beside her, not wanting to open her eyes just yet. As she opened her mouth to answer Alex spoke up,

"Only if she relaxes the rest of the day. She also needs to be in the sun."

"Alex, Barry knows how to take care of me, just like I know how to take care of him when Caitlin calls at one in the morning babbling about Barry being hurt." Kara opened her eyes and smiled at the man beside her before looking at her over protective sister.

Alex sighed and nodded. Barry's arms were gentle as he scooped her up before zipping out of the DEO.