Chapter 30: Fiery Ferocity

"Seriously? Seven students out of the Top 10 came from Class A?" Cleid said as we stared at the final ranking posted on a bulletin board near our room.

"Not to mention that the Top 3 all came from Class A," dagdag naman ni Julia. "And they're all friends, too. I always see those three together."

"And they're all Elemental Weirdos," Sheena said.

Tumitig na lang ako sa pangalan ko na nakalagay sa ika-labingisang pwesto. Isang grupo naman ng mga second year ang tumitig sa bulletin board.

"Man, the freshmen's Class A surely exceeded everyone's expectations," one of the sophomores said.

"At Top 32 pa ang pinakamababang naging rank ng A. Imagine? Out of the 200 students eh pang-32 ang pinakamababa sa kanila? That's sick," sabi naman nung isa.

"Especially the Top 3. I once saw their class in a practice battle in the Diamond Battle Dome and they're pretty awesome. That Abareñas, Lunaria, and Talla are really scary when they get serious. I don't think I can beat any of them in a one-on-one battle."

"Asa ka!" sabad naman nung isa sabay tawa. "Ni exam nga natin nangangamote ka pa! Isang kurap lang sa 'yo ng mga taga-A patay ka."

"Alam niyo rin ba na may kinalaban 'yung Lunaria at Talla na mga villains dati? Remember the news about the villain wreaking havoc in a park? They were able to fight those scary villains all on their own. Imagine that? They're so cool..."

I balled my hands into fists as I watched the second years walking away from us.

"Everyone believes that Class A is really good. But being from Class A doesn't mean that you're the best of the best," I said in a low voice.

"Isn't that the case here in Emerald?" tanong naman sa 'kin ni Cleid.

"No," sabad ko naman. "Hindi dahil nasa A ka na eh magaling ka na. Random lang naman ang arrangement ng mga estudiyante sa mga sections dito sa Emerald. Hindi lahat ng matatalino eh nasa A. The 4th Best Student actually came from Class H."

I just don't like the fact that everyone sees Class A as the melting pot of all genius and skilled students. Emerald School of Magic accepts exactly 200 students every year. Those 200 students get randomly assigned to 10 classes, giving each class a total of 20 students. 'Yung mga hindi naman nakakapasok sa Top 200 ay nire-recommend sa School of Commons. The Most Outstanding Student of last year's graduating batch even came from Class I.

And that's why I can't accept the mindset of people that being in Class A automatically makes you an exceptional student. What makes me even more irritated is that people see us as Class A's shadow, as if we're nothing but secondary to their skills and abilities.