Chap. 7

I enlisted the help of Blair to help me prepare for my date. 

"First Dates are a HUGE deal." my mom told me, when I told her about Alfie.  Thanks, mom.

No pressure, Mere.

Lots of pressure, actually.

Blair arrived at my house at 4:00pm, on the dot.

We walked up to my room, and since I had my own bathroom, that made things easier.

My brother was being extremely protective as usual.

"What are you and Blair getting ready for?" he asked. 

"Nothing," I replied, continuing into my bathroom, where Blair was already setting up. 

"I'm not satisfied with that answer. You're my little sister. It's my job to protect you." he said.

"No actually, it isn't." I snapped and snuck around him into the bathroom.

He glared at me and walked away. 

"Well now that he's out of the way, you can go to town." I said to Blair, sitting down in the chair that she had set up in front of the mirror. 

"I don't even know why you're worried, Mere.  Alfie already knows you.  It's not like he's going to get his first impression of you." Blair explained.

"I know,  there's still pressure." I tried to explain.  "We've never went on a date."

Blair sighed.  She was in the process of blending the foundation into my face.  I didn't trust myself to do makeup other than mascara and eyeliner.  Otherwise, it's her job.

She finished my foundation then said,

"Um Mere, just so you know, Alfie has liked you since like July, about 2 or 3 weeks after you met."

"BLAIR HOW COULD YOU NOT TELL ME THIS."  I yelled.

"He told me to keep it a secret, and you know, I always keep secrets." She said.  "

"I know but, how could, I don't.  UGH." How could she keep that?

"Don't worry. I just told you that so you know that Alfie REALLY likes you, and it would be REALLY hard for you to screw this up, or make him like you any less. So you have no reason to worry." she said.

"I guess."I said.

She finished my makeup, which looked spectacular, and she started doing my hair. 

She turned on the curling iron and brushed out my hair.

"Do you have any tips, Blair?" I asked. I'd never really had a boyfriend, but she had Chuck, so she must know some things.  He's perfect. 

"I mean, just be yourself, use manners, and I mean, don't stress.  I didn't exactly do a great job on me and Chuck's first date, but it obviously didn't mean much. " she said,  and she was right. I'd already made my first impression on Alfie.

Blair finished curling my hair and sprayed the curls with hairspray.  She bobbypinned up a few pieces and it looked incredible. 

"Thank you so much!" I said.

"It's my job." She said.

After that, Blair helped me pick out an outfit. 

We chose a dark blue top, and a coral flower-patterned skater skirt with  hints of dark blue that matched the top. 

I also slipped on a pair of blue Toms too.

I headec out of my room and I heard,

"MERE." shouted from across the hallway, from my brother.

"What." I said, unamused.

"I can hear.  You aren't too quiet.  You're going on a date.  Watch it, or I will personally beat him up. " he said. 

"Thanks," I said sarcastically. 

I ran down the stairs and we waited in the living room for Alfie to arrive. 

I heard the doorbell ring, and I ran to answer it. 

I opened the door, expecting Alfie.

One problem.

I'm pretty sure Rory isn't Alfie.

"Hey Mere." Rory said. 

"Why are you here?" I heard from behind him.  Alfie.

God, this was a lot of bad timing.