#6 - Fight For Your Freedom Part 3

HARLEM HOSPITAL CENTER - SPANISH HARLEM

Victor Alvarez, a young man who had just been pulled from the wreckage of a collapsed building, was rushed to the nearest hospital in Spanish Harlem. He now lay in ahospital bed after doctors were shocked to find that nothing was wrong with him, other than the fact that he was unconscious. As his mother sat by his bedside, two people approached the closed room. One was the crime fighting partner and boyfriend of Araña, Lucas Garcia, who was trying to text on his cellphone. The other was Ava Ayala, the current member of the Ayala family to inherit the mantle of the White Tiger.

"You see my brother Hector was the White Tiger when I was younger," she explained to Lucas. "And then my niece Angela took it up for a while. You're gonna find this strange but she's actually older than me."

"Come on now, I'm Puerto Rican," he replied. "I have a huge family too. Nothing like that surprises me. Damn, Anya won't answer her cellphone. She never does when I need her to."

"I'm sure she's fine," Ava tried to reassure him. "The bug is tough. You know, I was so not expecting this."

"Expecting what?" Lucas continued to fiddle with his cellphone.

"You," Ava laughed. "That strange vibe I get from you. I would have never pegged you to be the way you are. The concerned boyfriend, I would have never imagined you even had a girlfriend. You have such a serious attitude about you when you're in 'hero mode'. I expected when you pulled the goggles up to see this scarred demonic looking face, but you're actually kind of cute."

The two teenage heroes were the ones who helped pull Victor out of the building. After they'd finished digging through the rubble they decided to come here out of costume to see how he was doing. Unfortunately, Victor was the only survivor of the tragic event. Over a hundred people lost their lives because of the battle between the Young Allies and the Bastards of Evil. Singularity, the gravity manipulating member of the Bastards, used his powers to send Mettle crashing through the building, causing its collapse.

"I found out that he's going to be fine," said Ava referring to Victor. "He's incredibly lucky, only one out of one hundred plus to survive."

"It never ends in this city," said someone near them.

Both heroes turned to see that the voice had come from someone within a group of people watching a television that was mounted on the wall. They both went over to see what they were watching. The local news was reporting on the building collapse.

"Witnesses in the area say the building collapsed as a result of a fight between two super-powered individuals," said the reporter. "Authorities claim there is a connection between this event and the viral video threats sent out by a group of terrorists known as the Bastards of Evil, in which they threaten to defeat a new team of superheroes known as the Young Allies. Their latest video informs the world that they have successfully kidnapped over half of the team."

"Anya . . ." Lucas quietly said to himself.

"Let's go somewhere less crowded," said Ava.

They went somewhere quiet where Lucas tried to call members of the Spider Society. He tried Miguel Legar, Anya's mage partner. He then tried to call Ted Mankowski, the group's hacker. Both times he received no answer. There was another member he could call but he knew there'd be no point with her in Japan.

"So who are the Bastards of Evil anyway?" asked Ava. "And why are they singling out the Young Allies?"

"Beats me," he replied. "Though Bastards of Evil sounds a little too similar to the Masters of Evil. I'm not surprised the Allies have an enemy team that's essentially a rip off of Avengers enemies."