Chapter 7

My head spins out of control as my painful past unfolds before me. I feel as if all I can do is watch, and listen. My mother is in the passenger seat. She's the hardest to look at, mostly because she's a mirror-image of me. The long and straight brown hair, and gray eyes that are watching my father with concern.

The thing that hurts the most, is her protruding belly. We were expecting, I remember quietly to myself. We were going to name her Belle.

"Honey," My mom glances around worriedly, watching as the rain pours more intensely. She jumps when the storm crackles. "We shouldn't be driving. Can't we stop somewhere?"

Mom! I want to scream, warn them about what's going to happen. But my words don't work, so instead I just sit there, unable to cry.

My older brother sitting next to me rolls his brown eyes that used to make the girls swoon. He was the only one in the family that had reddish hair. Him and Kaden got along well. "Mom, stop worrying. Tell 'em, Luce."

"It'll be okay Mom. Just a storm." Are the words that are forced from my mouth. I find myself screaming internally in frustration, knowing that's what I actually said and my mind is torturing me.

This isn't real. This isn't-

Lightning strikes so close and so loud, all of us jump. The rest happens in a blur. A pair of headlights in the street come out way, following by honking. Our tired screech as my dad swerves to keep us from colliding. My mom screams, and it's the last thing I hear before it all goes black.

I wake up with a start, screaming for my mother and brother, only to find myself in Kaden's arms. Is this another dream? I ask myself, feeling exhausted and drenched in sweat.

"Hey, Luce," Kaden whispers quietly. His voice is laced in relief, for a reason I don't know. "How are you feeling?"

The events of what happened come rushing back. I try to sit up, only to be gently pushed back into his arms. "Shhh. Take it easy."

I instead breathe in his scent of peppermint. When's the last time I've been so... close to him? I wonder, staring into that light brown abyss that is his eyes. I melt into his arms as I realize how intensely he's staring and he just seems... content. I've never seen him like this, considering he's always stressed from football or school.

Way too soon, I notice Jaxon out of the corner of my eye. I'm still in his house, and he's sitting on the couch, looking upset with his head in his palms.

It finally dawns on me that Kaden is here.

"What happened?" I ask slowly, still feeling dazed, yet content by his presence- yet shaken up from the dream.

He exhales, seeming to cradle me and hold me tighter. "You blacked out by the force of the collision. Jaxon called me from your phone, so I picked up thinking it was you. He told me to come over, and it seemed to urgent and about you-"

Kaden closes his eyes. "God, I was so scared. Until I found you. I just... held you until you woke up. You were shaking so bad."

I stay silent as I process the information, but I can only focus on the part where he said he was scared. I would be too if it was him. But... in a different way.

"Jaxon told me what happened, with the storm."

All air leaves my lungs as I feel tears threatening to fall. He looks at me, knowing what I'm thinking as always. "Let's go."

He rises, still carrying me bridal style. I doubt miss the look of regret on Jaxon's handsome features. Stress does not look good on him. He refuses to let our eyes meet before Kaden closes the door, and he's gone.