Chapter 6

Falconpaw spat out the stinking stick, looking up at Cherryleaf with annoyance. "Why exactly did I have to do that?"

Cherryleaf flicked her her ears, amusement glowing in her green eyes. "Because you're an apprentice and apprentices remove ticks from elders. It's builds discipline."

Falconpaw rolled his eyes. "It's not like I haven't heard that before." He grumbled, Cherryleaf swiped at his ears. He glared at his mentor, but she still had a playful look about her.

"Also, I need you to have pent up energy." Cherryleaf looked around for something or someone.

Falconpaw flicked his tail and tilted his head in confusion. "What does that mean?" He questioned.

"You have something special to do today, but I'm not exactly sure when." Cherryleaf narrowed her eyes, Falconpaw instantly felt his spirits lift.

"Something special?" He felt like an eager kit, he had to stop himself from bouncing around in joy.

"Yeah," Cherryleaf stopped turning when she saw Redclaw returning from a patrol with Snowtail, Briarrose, Brackenpelt, Adderstrike an Pikepaw. Cherryleaf turned away from Falconpaw and quickly padded up to the patrol. Falconpaw assumed she would talk to her sister, but Cherryleaf went past Briarrose and straight to Redclaw. Why wasn't Mudpaw on the patrol?

Falconpaw followed his mentor, trying to figure out what was going on. "So where's Heatherflight and Earthpaw?" Cherryleaf asked.

"Heatherflight is out hunting but she should be back soon and I'm assuming Earthpaw is with her brother." Redclaw replied, looking at Falconpaw as he approached. "Did you tell him yet?"

"Not yet, I wanted to know when we were going to do it." Cherryleaf answered. Could they be more cryptic about this?

"I'd say when Heatherflight returns would be a good time, I know Yarrowtail has Larkpaw waiting as well."

Now they're waiting on Yarrowtail and Larkpaw? Why are they so eager to wait for Heatherflight, Earthpaw and Mudpaw? Then realization hit him. "Is this Earthpaw's and Mudpaw's warrior assesment?"

Cherryleaf looked at Falconpaw and let out a purr. "Yes it is, and you're going to help." She explained.

"What am I going to help with?"

"Team hunting." Redclaw replied. "Most warriors do it for their assessment. When I had my assessment I hunted with Adderstrike, my sister hunted with Fawnheart. You're the closest apprentice to Earthpaw and Mudpaw's skill level, and out of the other three apprentices, Larkpaw is the most skilled at hunting."

"It will also be an assessment for you." Cherryleaf pointed out, Falconpaw met her gaze. "It will test your hunting, your ability to take orders and your ability to work with others. Something that I haven't tried since you accidently scratched Earthpaw."

"So I'll be hunting with Earthpaw, then?" Falconpaw could work with Earthpaw, she was a skilled hunter and she wasn't Mudpaw.

Cherryleaf and Redclaw shared an amused glance. "Actually," Cherryleaf added with a tone that made Falconpaw's heart drop. "You'll be partnered with Mudpaw."

"You're kidding right?" Falconpaw couldn't believe his ears. "Mudpaw and I don't get along, I'm pretty sure he hates me actually."

Cherryleaf laughed, which annoyed Falconpaw even further. "That's exactly what we're trying to remedy here. Not only is Mudpaw your Clanmate but he's your kin as well, you should get along with each other. Plus, Earthpaw is more skilled than Mudpaw so that's why she's paired with Larkpaw. She can teach Larkpaw a few things and I'm hoping you and Mudpaw can teach each other a thing or two."