Chapter 5

Months passed and things were the same for Yusrah. Masoud didn't eat anything she cooked, only once in a while and neither did he talk to her like a normal person would. He always gave her monotone replies.

     It was Masoud's birthday. Yusrah bobbed her to Burna Boy's on the low as she mixed the batter for a chocolate cake.

     "This cake already looks yummy." she smiled to herself.

     When the batter was ready, she put it into a heart shaped pan and left it to bake in the oven. As it baked, she mixed her chocolate frosting and brought out a jar of nutella from the refrigerator. About an hour and a half later, the moist gooey chocolate cake was ready. She set it on the rack to cool before cutting it in half from the middle and filling it with nutella. She covered the whole cake with chocolate frosting and added some cut out heart fondants on it.

     Happy birthday Masoud, she piped on the cake and kept it on the dining table. She prepared jambalaya and fried chicken too and set it on the table before lighting up the scented candles.

     She had set up a candle light dinner for her husband's birthday with hopes to surprise him and win his heart.

     It was 6:00pm and Masoud should've been back home but he wasn't. Yusrah concluded it was due to traffic and decided to wait a little longer. Hours passed and it was 10:00pm already. Masoud still wasn't home and Yusrah was beginning to get worried. She tried calling his phone but he didn't pick up. In a fit of panic, she sent him a voicemail.

     Masoud? Are you okay? Please call me the moment you get this.

     Soon after, it was 11:50pm. Just as Yusrah gave up and decided to go upstairs, the door creaked open with Masoud coming in with a lady.

     "Masoud?" Yusrah whispered, eyeing the lady cautiously.

     "Yusrah." he acknowledged her, then wrapped his arm around the lady's waist.

     "What is this?" Yusrah asked, tears welling up in her eyes.

     "Oh! I need you to sleep in another room for tonight." he shrugged.

     "Are you serious right now? I stayed up this late waiting for you to come back home. I took my time to bake your favorite cake. I cooked your favourite meal Masoud. What else do you want me to do before you eventually treat me like your wife?" Yusrah asked, letting the tears roll down.

     "I don't have time for your emotional drama right now. Talk to me in the morning." he replied and went upstairs with the lady.

     "Happy birthday Masoud." Yusrah gritted out and picked up the cake. She walked into the kitchen and hovered it above the trash can.

     "I put in so much effort baking this cake. I won't let it go to waste." Yusrah said to herself and kept it in the fridge. She kept the jambalaya in the freezer too and went upstairs to the opposite room.

     When she was about to open the door to the room, a loud moan filled her ears. "Oh Masoud!" Yusrah blocked her ears with her palm and allowed the tears to spill from her eyes.

     "Stop it!" she screamed at the door with her palms still on her ears.

     "Masoud Nasim Abdullah!" Yusrah yelled out as she pushed their bedroom door open.

     Her vision was blurred with tears but she could still make out the two figures under the blanket.

     "Masoud Nasim Abdullah! You have gone too far." she yelled and stormed towards them.

     She pulled the lady by the hair and dragged her out of the blanket.

     "Are you crazy?" the lady hissed, trying to loosen Yusrah's grip on her hair.

     "Yes I'm crazy! I'm crazy!" she shouted. With her fingers still grabbing the lady's hair, she dragged her roughly out of the bedroom and downstairs.

     "Stop it Yusrah!" Masoud yelled.

     "You won't tell me what to do!" she yelled back and pulled the naked lady outside.

     When she got to the front door, she pushed her out.

     "Get this whore out of my house!" she shouted at Ibrahim, the gateman.

     A confused looking Ibrahim grabbed her and pushed her outside the gate. Yusrah angrily walked back to see Masoud standing at the front door.

     "What was the meaning of that?" he asked her angrily.

     "What that was? You're nothing but a cheap man whore Masoud. How could you even make love to another lady in our bed? How could you Masoud? That's just disrespectful and you've hurt my self esteem a great deal. All I've ever done these past months was try to make you happy but what did I get in return? You making love to a woman in our own bed. Since the eight months of our marriage, you never attempted to touch me. Not even once. Not even once Masoud! If you wanted sex so badly you could've told me. Why am I your wife? Why would you do that? You've not only insulted me but our families. How would you live with yourself? Will you feel great walking around after this? I always suspected you were a bad person but I never expected this from you. You went too far this time Masoud."

     She pushed him aside and walked upstairs to their bedroom. She emptied all her clothes from the closet and took them into the other room. She couldn't sleep on the bed where her husband made love to another woman. She felt so disgusted with not just Masoud but with herself.