Chapter 5: Test 3

An alarm sounded off and echoed throughout the whole hallway, waking everyone. I shot up immediately since I was used to being awakened early in the morning by Ray for training. As I checked on the two girls on the other beds, I found Nina ready in her black body suit and hair tied in a bun. As for Rin, she rolled on her sides a couple of times and groaned until she sat up sluggishly. She rubbed her tired eyes and stretched her arms out.

  “What time is it?” She grumbled.

  “There’s no time for asking questions. Test 3 is about to start, so get ready,” Nina said as she stepped out the room.

  Rin scowled and sat there. “What time is it, Amelia?” She repeated, asking me personally.

  I shrugged. There was nothing in the room to tell time, and I wasn’t carrying a watch with me when I was brought here. “Let’s get ready. I’m sure the restroom will be crowded by the time we get there.” I grabbed my previous clothes that were neatly folded beside my bedside with my guns and ammunitions still placed inside its pockets. I wondered when they got there and my clothes were washed too, free from blood stains. On top of everything was a little note:

  We will be returning everyone’s weapons since violence is unacceptable during breaks. Once you’re ready, you may proceed through the next door. I’ll be waiting.

                                                   – Your Test Administrator

  I tossed the note in the nearest trashcan. So everyone didn’t have their weapons, but I wonder how they did it. They must’ve somehow taken it when they teleported us to the next floor. It must’ve been designed to transport human flesh only.

  With Rin beside me, we stepped out the room and found many of the contestants dressed in their suit and carrying weapons. Each was designed according to their specialty, it seemed. Most weapons they were carrying were like a third or fourth arm for them; it fitted perfectly with their body.

  It didn’t take long for us to get ready and when we did, we didn’t wait another moment to meet up with the rest of the Test Takers at the other side of the door. There, we were in a boxed room, large enough for everyone to be arm lengths away from each other. There were ten metal doors shut tight with two lights above it: a green and a red. Currently, the red was shining on each door. I found Kai standing off to the side, leaning against the wall and his head bobbing up and down. Rin ran to her brother and scared him as she leaped to give him a hug.

  I searched for Airen and spotted him on the other side of the room, eyeing everyone who passed by him.

  “Why don’t you stand with the group?” I asked. I stood next to him and pressed my back against the wall.

  “What group?” He stared deep into my eyes before rolling them to the side. He smirked. “We’re not really a group because everyone is trying to reach the top. They’re shrouded by their own desires. It’s not like we’re going to be like this in every Test,” he paused, “And out of all four of us, I’m going to be the one who wins!” He stroke his puffed out chest with a pompous smile plastered on his lips. “I’m not going to lose to anyone!”

  And for a moment, I thought he was smarter than he looked. I pushed myself off the wall. “Think whatever you like, I’m going back to Rin.” I calmly went to the other side of the room.

  This caught him off guard and he chased after me. “I-I guess I’ll come with you, too, since we’re a team for now,” he stuttered.

  The four of us met, but there weren’t any friendly greetings. In an instant, Kai lashed out at Airen, “Do you not realize I couldn’t sleep because of your snoring? Now look at me! I have bags under my eyes and I can’t think properly! If this affects our next Test, I’m going to blame you for it!”