Chapter 7: Test 5

It took me some time for my mind to clear and realize I was in a dark room. My head spun, but when I tried to touch my head to ease the pain, I found my left hand restrained upon a clasp on an arm rest. I jerked, but the more I struggled, the tighter the clasp got. I found myself seated, engulfed in this darkness and in the distance I could hear rustling on the other side. At that moment, the lights switched on.

  I did not expect what lay ahead of me.

  Tied against their will, Airen, Kai, and Rin were desperately tugging on their restraints with no avail. A pang of fear struck me. Remembering the last day I saw Ray, I panicked. I didn’t want history to repeat.

  “Stop struggling,” a mechanical voice that was mixed with both a man’s and woman’s ordered from a speaker. “The more you struggle, the more your cuffs will tighten.” It wasn’t like we had any other choice, so we all sat still with only our chest heaving. Once everyone settled down, the voice continued, “Welcome to your final Test in Intelligence. I would like to congradulate everyone for succeeding up to this point, and I will now present this Test’s task:

  “Based off of everyone’s performance we have chosen a leader for each team. This Test all depends on the leader’s decision and whatever you choose will affect everyone. As a leader, you will make choices that you may or may not regret but they are all for the sake of the team. As a leader, you will strive for success even though not everything will go your way. As a leader, you will have to make sacrifices for the better. I will now present you your leader.”

  I shifted in my seat. I didn’t enjoy being tied against my will and these restraints were getting more and more uncomfortable as it constricted my wrists. I peered at my teamates. We exchanged no words, but each and every one was staring right back at me.

  “Amelia, you are their leader,” the voice said bluntly.

  It was no surprise, but we didn’t have the strength to celebrate. After all, we were in the middle of the Test. It would be terrible if we lost here after going through four Tests of Intelligence. There was something about the long silence that made me nervous. My heartbeat quickened, and it was as if the air was being sucked out of my lungs. I fidgeted, but it caused the restraints to tighten. Great, I really was in a bad situation.

  “The Test requires a sacrifice. If you want to succeed to the next level, you, as a leader, must choose someone to leave behind. You may choose anyone. Their position does not matter. Their personality does not matter. Their strengths and weaknesses does not matter. At least to us it doesn’t. This all depends on your decision. Who do you want to stay? Who do you want to let go? Whoever you choose, they will be taken out of this building. However, there is an exception, but that only occurs after you have made your decision. I will give you a few minutes to consider your decision. I will return and you must have your decision by then.” After those words, there was silence.

  Immediately, I heard Kai’s voice, “Choose me!”

  I turned to him and saw his eyes shut tight with his fist clenched into a ball. He didn’t want to leave. I knew he wanted to stay especially since I knew the reason why he came to the building. I couldn’t just let him go after sacrificing his life for his family, and if he returned, he wouldn’t be able to live a normal life with his mother dead and Rin gone. Rin also came to protect her brother after their mother’s death, so they needed to stay together. When I glanced at Rin, her head was bowed, avoiding everyone’s gaze. Her fingers tapped the arm rest uncontrollably. A few times she would rub the smooth metal and stop before starting up again. I wondered what she was thinking at that moment.

  “I-“

  Airen grumbled. “What is with these Tests? I don’t understand them!”

  Kai sneered. “All you do is complain, complain, complain! We already know the Tests aren’t fair, but can’t you keep it to yourself?”