Chapter 16

~America~

"Who was that?" Marissa asks.

"What?" I ask trying to sound confused.

"That man. Who was he?"

I was busted. I shove my hands in my pockets and feel a paper. It crinkled as my fingers brushed over it. Maxon sure enough has signed the paper, and I can't let them see the paper. Marissa was going to bust me either way.

"Mom please tell us. We want to know," Marissa pleaded.

"Go back to bed. Both of you. It's late," I direct them.

"If you aren't going to tell us then when will you tell us?"

"Later."

"I don't believe you. Mom you block us out a lot. We want to know. If you don't tell us now we'll keep bugging you until you do."

I try to shove them out of the room. I succeeded to a point. Closing the door I grab the note from my pocket and unfold it.

'I know we'll never be together forever. But these past few days have been wonderful. I still love you so much America Singer. From the day we met in the palace gardens I loved you. I'm tugging my ear whenever. Maxon'

His name was written in a fancy script. I hold the note close to my heart. It's time I told them the truth. I had held off far too long.

I twist and open the door. Marissa and Lucas are still standing there. I sigh.

"It's time I tell you everything," I say. I open the door wider, and the two sit on my bed. No turning back now.