Chapter 6

When I woke up the first thing I noticed was that the bed next to me was empty, the sheets were thrown back and an indentation was left from where there used to be a body. But my question as to where Eren had gone was answered shortly after when I heard running water coming from the bathroom.

And so I did the same, pushing my way out of the sheets and yawning drowsily as I began to stand up. But there was one thing on my mind - coffee, I needed some if I was going to be able to function properly.

I grabbed my shirt from the back of a chair where Eren must have put it, throwing it around my shoulders and heading out of the motel room in search of a coffee machine.

Although, only when I heard a scream and turned to see a woman pointing at me did I remember the bullet hole in my shirt and the heavily bloodstained fabric surrounding it. Before I knew what was happening the woman had pulled her phone out, her eyes flicking between me and the device in her hand - crap, the news must have spread.

I felt trapped, like everyone was watching me, it was suffocating and my head began to spin. I didn't know what to do, I had no escape. But I did - it was the same escape I'd always seemed to have. Run.

And I didn't stop running, I forgot the coffee, rushing back into the room where Eren had just emerged from the shower. "Put clothes on now!"I yelled as I started to gather the rest of our things together. "They know where we are, we've got to go now!"

His eyes widened as he hurried to pull his trousers on and within a minute we were both out the door, heading towards the car park.

I moved towards the car nearest the wall, looking around for possible passing pedestrians before taking my shirt off and covering my elbow with it, then smashing it through the window and unlocking the vehicle from the inside.

"Levi, what the hell are you doing!" Eren hissed into my ear as I started climbing into the car.

"Stop talking and just get in," I ordered back and he skulked around to the other side before climbing in.

I leant down and began to fiddle with some wires as I heard Eren close the door on his side, "Levi, we can't steal a car!" He hissed again and I tried my best to ignore him, focusing on hotwiring the damn thing. "Levi!"

"Shut up brat," I growled, and he finally stopped his complaining, allowing me to concentrate on the task at hand. It took a few more seconds before - bingo! The car came to life and I glanced to Eren, smirking as I reversed out of the space, momentarily forgetting about the police as I swerved out of the motel car park, speeding down the road. The look on his face was priceless.

"Levi," he whispered seeming somewhat worried to speak, "we just stole a car..."

"No shit Sherlock," I smirked - this fugitive on the run thing was turning me into quite the criminal, "So, where should we go?"

When he didn't respond immediately I allowed my gaze to wander from the road a little, he seemed to be thinking. His eyebrows furrowed as he appeared to dismiss multiple ideas, fiddling with and twirling his imaginary beard around his fingers, nevertheless, his bright eyes sparkled throughout and eventually met mine as he'd come to a decision.

"We could go to my sister? I'm sure she'd help us."

"No offence but surely the police would have already contacted your relatives?" I raised an eyebrow and he shook his head.

"I doubt it, she lives like four hours away and we're not even blood-related. She's adopted."

"Ok, then where does she live?" I inquired.