Chapter 8-Out of Bounds

We have to live without sympathy, don't we? We can't do that forever. One can't stay out of doors all the time. One needs to come in from the cold. – Control, The Spy who came in from the cold.

Harley~

Camera 659 Recording:

Time & date: 2:35 AM, Sunday, June 1st

 Location: District of Columbia, Corner of Fortwaner Ave

The harsh clang of bullets echoed in his ears, and W.W Hale the fifth staggered forward in synch, clutching at his chest as torrents of blood spilled from his wound. Harley observed from the sidelines, face concealed in careful vigilance, as his private security rushed to his defense and formed a man-made barrior between the young billionare's son and the other distinct guests.

Just as expected.

Harley blended back into the crowd and reached inside his coat for an hidden earpiece. He had stolen it from one of the Guards who wasn't paying attention earlier, and now had instant ascess to the conversation going on between the security team to dig information on where they were going to transport W.W Hale the fifth.

If he could just penetrate the barrior, and act into the security team boarding the up-coming hospital ambulance.

All around him the crowd grew uneasy, as wary guests attempted to flea in panick and were quickly subdued by nearby security guards who tackled them to the ground. The point of this, Harley realized, was to find the culprit before he escaped because they hadn't yet noted the bullet was a long-range shot.

As a matter of fact, W.W Hale the fitfh should've been passed out by now. Why was he still staggering? Why was he still breathing?

Suddenly a daunting realization hit Harley, and the puzzle pieces fell perfectly into place. The world slowed for a moment as Harley Quinn, the youngest top fleelancer in the world, noted how W.W Hale the fifth's movements were far too healthy for a man who was just shot from more than a 100 meter distance.

Something wasn't adding up.

Had Jett missed the shot? No way, Jett would never. He was the best shot they had. Then what went wrong? Had Harley miscalculated? Or...had he been duped?

Run. The voice in his head told him. Run away while you can. They found you. They found you again. 

No, thought Harley. I won't run because it isn't them. I know it's not them. So many years of carefully concealing myself and they have yet to find me. Jett had missed the shot. That's the only possible explanation, and Harley didn't even want to think about the other one. Jett was supposed to aim for the heart and in actuality shot the shoulder instead.

That girl with the green eyes. Paige Clark was her name. Was it her distacting him? What had she done to Jett Ryder?

Suddenly a crackling sound came through the transmitter, and the words send shivers up Harley's spine. "Units 3 and 4 report to the rooftop of southeast building on the corner of Fortwaner Ave. We found the gunman, but we are unable to get a clear view of his/her face. He/She is currently running down the stairs. All units standby."

Harley ripped out the earpiece and grabbed his walkie talkie in a brazen move. Without even missing a beat, he dialed Glitch in a fury of buttons. All around him, the once peaceful scenery was shifting into a massacre.

The vionists near the entrance still played in symphony, too lost in the sound of their music to notice the desprate cries and screams in the background.