Chapter 8: "It Never Happened"

RAINE'S POV

I yanked my favorite jacket out of my walk-in closet and hurried downstairs. It had been a long time since I last felt that excited to go out.

"Where are you off to this evening?"

The voice startled me as my hand reached out for the doorknob. I quickly spun around and gave my mother a forced smile.

Things had not returned to normal ever since she invited her friend over for dinner a few days ago. She refused to forget my "explosive" and "immature" behavior. She didn't actually care about the words that came out of my mouth that night. She only cared about the fact that I humiliated her not only in front of her yoga friend, Mrs. Alvarez, but also in front of Mrs. Alvarez's daughter, Maple and  Maple's boyfriend, Colton.

"I'm going out tonight, I'll be back by 11," I stated with as much authority in my voice as I could muster. My hand reached out again and turned the doorknob; I walked out without looking back.

I couldn't focus on the road. The leather of the steering wheel under my hands was a constant reminder of how bad things with my mother had gotten. Any other child would jump with joy if they got their dream car, not me. Every time my mother and I had an argument, she would buy me something really expensive the next day. I guess, for her, it was a way of apologizing; I hated it. It did not resolve anything and in the end, it simply fed the hungry monster growing between us.

This time she went a little overboard and got me my dream car- a Ford black convertible Mustang. I knew it was an unfair thing to do but I was so done with trying to reason with my mother that I simply accepted it. I knew it would make my father upset, especially because he made a deal with my mother that I myself would have to buy my dream car. So, that's going to cause even more trouble. 

However, out of all this chaos, there was one good thing that came out and that was Maple. If my mother had never invited Mrs.Alvarez over then I would've never met Maple and that's a thought I can't bear. 

Maple. She's the only person I can think of at any time and smile no matter the circumstances. The thought that I would see her in a few minutes made my stomach flutter and soon I found I had completely forgotten about my problems back home.

I rolled down the windows, the air immediately welcoming me with light strokes, and I drove on.

COLTON'S POV

"We have to talk."

"There's nothing to talk about," I responded with a shaky breath. 

"Colton, please."

"There's nothing to talk about," I repeated through clenched teeth, my voice harsh.

"Dammit, Colton! You fucking know what happened. So stop your bullshit and let's figure things out," I heard his heavy breaths on the other line, "Colton?"

"There's nothing to figure out. I gotta go." I ended the call.

A frustrated scream ripped out of my lungs and, out of impulse, I punched the wall. Pain shot up my arm and tears of anger and agony trickled down my cheeks like endless rivers.

I sank to the floor and wrapped my arms around my legs, leaning my head against my bedside table. 

I knew I should've held myself back. I knew I should've swallowed my emotions like a big pill. I could have avoided all of this.

Every time I close my eyes he's there. His hands in my hair, our bodies pressed together, his voice in my ear.

We're back in that stupid kitchen.

"Okay, let's stop playing like children and clean this up," I commented looking around at the bubbles covering most of the sink, counter, and floor. 

"No. You're gonna clean this up. Like I said, I have to get going..." Ivan responded once again backing up slowly towards the doorway.

Without thinking, I reached out for him the same way I had before. This time, though, I pulled him harder. His body bumped into mine. I looked up at him and our eyes met. There was no hesitation.

His hands reached up and cupped my face, pulling me closer to him. Our lips crashed into each other as if they were being held back and they broke from their chains. My hands wrapped around his waist and we lost ourselves in a moment of pure passion.

His hands were in my hair and on my back, our kisses grew more intense by the second.

"You're a great kisser,"  he whispered in my ear. His lips trailed down my jaw as he pushed me against the counter.

There was the sound of heels approaching and we broke away in a blink of an eye.

After that, I ran out of there. The reality had hit me of what I had done as soon as I could no longer feel his soft lips against mine. I kissed a boy. No. I couldn't have. But I did... and that means I cheated on Maple... and that means he cheated on Raine. 

It's better to pretend like it never happened.

MAPLE'S POV

I waited for her on the steps of my house. I was excited to spend some time with someone who would take my mind off Colton. He had been acting so strange since the day he accompanied me to have dinner at Raine's house.

When a black Mustang pulled up in the driveway, I smiled brightly. I got up and walked to the car with an extra skip in my step.

"Nice car. It looks much cooler in person," I commented opening the door and sliding in. I tried to keep my eyes focused on anything but Raine. She made me feel like I had no control over my emotions or actions.

"Are you saying my photography skills are horrible?" She responded in mock offense.

I laughed, "Well... the photo you sent me through text wasn't exactly amazing."

She chuckled and drove out of the neighborhood. "Alright, alright."

My nails dug into my palms as I resisted the urge to compliment her laugh. I looked out the window and tried to focus on the street lights that look like floating lanterns.

I turned to sneak a look at her and she was already staring at me.