Chapter 4: "Memories and Confusion."

RAINE'S POV

I sat in the most lady-like manner at the dinner table, which I must admit is highly unusual for me. I'm not a sloppy eater but I'm also not the fancy type.

Was I trying to impress this Colton dude? Hell no. My own boyfriend? Never had bothered to impress him, so why now. My own mother? Nah.

I gathered all of my courage and slowly looked up. My eyes met hers and we both quickly looked away.

She'd been staring at me.

My stomach started to flutter and my palms were sweating. My heart was beating so loud, Ivan, sitting beside me, could probably hear it.

She could probably hear it.

MAPLE'S POV

Did she really have to sit in front on me? Why?

I try digging my fingernails into my palms to calm myself. I wouldn't let myself remember. No matter how hard I tried, though, the memories came.

I'm thirteen years old. I'm holding hands with a girl named, Anna. She's beautiful. Inside and out.

A boy comes up to us, holding back laughter. "Are you sisters? Or just really good best-friends?"

Anna and I shake our heads then, at the same time respond, "No. We're dating."

We didn't know at that time what commotion those three words would cause or the traumatizing experience that it would bring.

The boy erupts with laughter. Which catches the attention of many around us. "These two are lesbians!"

A crowd forms around us and I hear all sorts of opinions.

'They're going to hell.' 'They're stupid.' 'That's wrong.' 'Sinners.' 'Yuck! That's so gross.' 'Wait, really?'

Anna and I let go of each other's hands immediately.

"We were joking! We're just besties!" Anna announces firmly.

I play along. "Yeah! Duh! We'd never date someone the same gender as ourselves. We were just being sarcastic, isn't that obvious!"

The crowd 'oh's' and 'OK's' then disappears. And it's just the boy.

"Sorry I said that guys. I thought you were being for real. Such a relief you're not though!" Then he runs off.

Anna looks at me and I look back at her. Her eyes begin to water. And then I'm hugging her.

My own tears don't come. But there's a bullet hole in my heart. Caused by my own species. Humans.

"I'm sorry, Maple. But we can't date. Like they said; it's wrong." Anna says looking into my eyes.

I hold her hands. "Okay. No matter what happens, know I really do have feelings for you."

She nods, "And I for you."

That was four years ago. I was young. Foolish even. I'm sure I didn't mean it.... Or did I?

I look at Raine. She's looking at her food.

Part of me wants her to look up, so I can see her sky blue eyes. The other part of me is terrified that if she does, I'll lean over the table and kiss her.

Romeo and Juliet's love seemed ridiculous to me. I mean how could you possibly fall in love with someone the first time you see them? Without really knowing them? The whole love at first sight thing.

But now, the idea didn't seem as farfetched.

I  felt this invisible force pulling me towards her. I wanted to get to know her. Why was she shaken when she first saw me? What was this feeling boiling up inside of me?