3

amara rahman

i frown as i observe myself in the dirty locker room mirror, wearing an old grey t-shirt and pink shorts. whatever i could gather from my closet yesterday evening.

i hear a familiar voice as i walk out the doors and to the gym, "who knows, maybe he does like me."

"there's no doubt, mer. he's cute, you're cute. you two will work out."

"i don't know.." she trails off, "i mean, i know i'm cute. but..he hasn't even reached out in the past few days. he even ignored me all day."

maybe because he's worrying about his practically dying brother, idiot.

but by the way she's talking..i could tell she didn't know. maybe none of his friends know.

speaking of, both of the jacks step out in front of me and enter the gym, slightly holding the door open for me.

i chew on my lip when i see cj shooting a basketball with nate in the corner court. is everyone in this period?

"let's all come together, class." the teacher in the corner shouts, clapping her hands together.

i awkwardly make my way over there while everyone else travels in their big groups. it's always been like this.

i sit myself next to some random girls to make it look like i'm somewhat social, and pay attention to the teacher.

"i'm mrs.lily, your gym teacher for the year. this year, we'll be focusing on many different aspects. one day we might play volleyball, the other; running. and some days we may go the weight room." she introduces, "for attendance purposes, i created lines for you all to sit in every time you come in."

after the lines were situated, i internally sigh when i realize i had jack johnson to my side, jack gilinsky in front of me, and cj behind me.

"did you see the game last night?" johnson asks jack. "bro, they did so good!"

"uh..no." jack awkwardly scratches his neck. "yeah. i didn't really have time."

johnson frowns, "aw, damn."

"..yeah."

after that, jack turns away from everyone and slips his phone out of his pocket.

"alright, everyone. today was just an introduction. tomorrow we'll begin with basketball."

+

i feel myself collapse on the kitchen stool, dramatically climbing up to sit properly.

"long day?" my mom asks.

"uh..yeah." i reply, "i went to school, then worked for 5 hours. i'm pretty exhausted, mom."

"i sense some attitude." she remarks, "i thought this was nothing for you. last year, you went to school, practiced two hours for badminton, and worked 7 hours at the diner."

"this is still a lot." i mutter, "i'm struggling here. can i just work for four hours?"

"not now. especially since we're low on staff."

meanwhile, javi's sitting on his ass everyday at home. i see how it is, mom.

instead of saying something that'll get my ass whooped, i shut up and stand up from the chair, dragging myself upstairs.

after taking a well needed shower, i sit myself down on my bed, my first day of school homework scattered everywhere.

i stare at the sheet i received in english before rolling my eyes and pushing it aside, grabbing my laptop.