five - off texts & compulsions.

—————

"ARE YOU ABSOLUTELY SURE THAT it's okay to come with you guys? i mean, it just seems a little weird. and honestly, i don't wanna be, like, a fourth wheel, or something." aurora asks the argent girl, who she's become incredibly close to, trying not to make it obvious that she doesn't want to be near jackson.

allison shrugs, before rolling her eyes. "yes, seriously. it's fine! both jackson and lydia said it's fine. and also, you and jackson need to get past your differences. i don't know how long this hate relationship has been going on, but it's not healthy for either of you." allison says in a matter-of-factly tone.

suddenly, before aurora can even respond to her with a defensive and sarcastic remark, allison's phone rings and she clicks to accept the call, putting the phone up to her ear.

"lydia says we're coming to get you and rory." jackson says through the phone.

hearing him call her by her old nickname makes aurora's heart stop and her throat to close up.

he used to call her that back when they were best friends.

and as much as she hates to admit it, it breaks her heart to remember all of the memories of their friendship—they had a lot of good times, before she went and screwed it all up.

"please, don't, okay? i'm sure he's on his way," allison says, pleadingly. "he's only...twenty six minutes late." she says, sighing.

"you hear that? first it's, 'he's only twenty six minutes late.' a month later it's, 'he only hits me when he's drunk.' slippery slope, allison, slippery slope." lydia says sassily.

"we're picking you and aurora up." jackson replies persistently.

"no." allison says.

"too late."

"too late."

both jackson and aurora say this at the same time as his porsche pulls up to where she and allison are standing, at the end of her driveway.

well, i guess it's too late to bail on this plan now. especially, considering she's supposed to be at home right now.

allison hangs up as they both walk over to the car.

as they get closer, she looks around the street, still hoping that scott is going to show up.

what aurora doesn't understand is why he'd be late on showing up.

unless, he's just doing some extra work at the animal clinic, since she saw him there last.

it doesn't make any sense—especially, with how much he likes allison.

why would he screw up any chance he has with her? i mean, he's got to understand that allison's way out of his league and that he can't mess this up with her, right?

"lydia gets what lydia wants." jackson says, rolling his window down as aurora rolls her eyes.

"please. lydia always gets what she wants." she states sassily as lydia rolls her eyes at her.