Chapter 3

Chapter 3:

Trying to shrink down and blend in with the booth, I hear Carolyn speak to the person that has just joined us, "Hey honey." Surprised by this, I look up to see who he is. He is a tall man, dressed in a plaid button down shirt, and dirty worn out jeans. He has a scruffy beard, tan skin and his hair is dark brown, just like his eyes. He has an inviting smile, one that reaches his eyes. "Blake, I would like you to meet my husband, Everett."

Holding out his hand for me to shake, I gingerly reach out to take hold of his hand. After a quick shake and a tip of his cowboy hat, he greets me. "It is wonderful to meet you. Are you just passing through?" 

I look at Carolyn with a nervous smile as she answers for me and fills him in on what we have discussed.  As she is doing this, I take the moment to sneak away and go to the bathroom. After washing my hands, I look into the mirror. I wonder if maybe her earlier proposal will work out. It is a kind of her to offer me a place to stay and I know it would help me out a lot in the long run, but I just don't know them that well and the unknown scares me. After everything I have been through, I know that I have to think of my safety and that of my baby's.

Walking back to our table, I see that Everett is now sitting in the booth next to Carolyn, a steaming coffee in front of him. Seeing my return, he stands to help guide me into my side of the booth. Taking his own seat once again, he looks at me and asks, "So, have you thought about Carolyn's offer? We would love to have you stay in our guest house as long as you would like." 

"It is very generous of you to offer that to me. I really do appreciate it, but I need a little more time to think about it and also to get to know you." I tell them honestly.

"That is completely understandable. I know how forward it sounds. Around here, you will find we are all very welcoming. It comes with such a small town. Everyone knows everyone, and we all are more than happy to lend a helping hand. So please keep that in mind when you do think about it." He takes a pause, looking at me with nothing but kindness. "Now, Carolyn tells me you are going to see Dr. Shaw today, so I will let you girls get to that." Everett says as he stands to leave.

Nodding my head, I give him a small smile as he leans down to give Carolyn a farewell kiss before leaves the diner. When Carolyn looks back at me, Lucy shows up with our food. The food is so good, we end up eating in silence and once we are finished we stand up to go pay. When we get to the register, I try to pay for my meal, but Carolyn refused to let me. Slapping my hand away as she said that she is paying since she invited me out. 

As we walk out of the diner, we start to head in the opposite direction of the hotel. I ask her where we are going and she tells me to the only health clinic in town. Nodding my head to her, I ask her if we will even be able to be seen today since I didn't have an appointment. She tells me that it is not going to be a problem, we probably won't even have to wait long. After we get about five blocks from the diner, come up to the clinic. 

Heading towards the main doors to the building, I look around and see a few people entering and exiting the building. What confused me the most were a couple of the people were carrying or leading animals in and out of the building. With confusion, I ask, "Carolyn, I thought we were going to see the Doctor, not a Veterinarian?" She lets out a small giggle, shaking her head and replies, "Oh, yes we are. The building is split between the local vet and Dr. Shaw. Half of the clinic is for animals."

I find that strange, but walk into the door anyway. There is a sign on a glass table that reads, "Dr. Shaw's patients to the left. Dr. King patients to the right."

Heading to the left, we walk up to the receptionist counter. There is a girl around my age, maybe a little older, sitting behind the desk. Looking up, she smiles to us. "Good afternoon, do you have an appointment today?"