Part 23

"Are you nervous?" Lian asked her son.

"About what?" He responded.

"Seeing her again."

"No. Why would I be?"

"...because she broke your heart."

Quan rolled his eyes and sighed.

"Ok, well, just don't worry. I'll be there if you need a shoulder to cry on."

Quan looked at his mother and saw her holding back a laugh. "You're cruel," he said, unable to keep from smiling himself. "You know that right?"

"I have been told..." she nodded and let her jovial tone hang in the air as they approached Brilliant River Valley.

A week and a half had passed since they'd left the village and the Xue family behind. Most of that time was spent in Daming, selling the Zhosian goods. Their commercial exploits had gone rather well, all things considered, and she was sure she'd even be able to turn a small profit once everyone in Zhosian was paid.

More important than their trading experience though, Lian had watched her son revel in his first taste of Imperial city life. Daming was one of the larger cities in the Empire – over half a million people lived there – but it was nothing compared to Liangyong or Nianjang or Binpei. Still, it was twice as large as Bhuo, and had all the trappings of an Imperial capital: street entertainers, parades, an old castle, brothels, theatres, even an opera house. Every corner they turned was a new set of sights and experiences, and Lian was overjoyed to watch him absorb each one with joy and enthusiasm. Quan, in his Zhosian robes, also stood out, drawing attention from passersbys, as well as each merchant and wholesaler Lian introduced him to. One had even taken Lian aside and asked if the boy was ready for marriage to his daughter. Lian hadn't mentioned that particular incident to her son.

Finally they'd left the city behind, and without any planning, headed towards Brilliant River Valley. Both were anxious to see the Xues again. Not that Lian questioned her decision to leave abruptly: she simply wanted to check in and see how Fen and Tan were getting along.

When they entered the village, it was mostly empty with everyone out tending to their crops, which were nearing the harvesting period. The pair made their way to Fen's home, and saw the customary white and black flag planted outside their door, indicating that they were in mourning. There had been several in the village, casualties of the bandits in one form or another. They tied up their horses and then Lian knocked on the door.

Li Jie appeared and a smile came over his face. "Zhao!" He stepped outside and bowed, then clasped her forearm in his. "It's good to see you again."

"And you, Mr. Xue," she responded.

"Quan," Li Jie stepped towards the younger and also shook hands.

"Mr. Xue," Quan responded, smiling.

"Have there been any troubles since we left?" Lian asked.

"No," Li Jie shook his head and assured her. "The magistrate has been dealing with the bandits, one per day. If they have any family nearby they come in for the hearing, and together they make decisions. If the family is willing to take them back, they usually do. Some haven't. It's been... difficult, but we've managed."

"And, uh..." Lian glanced past Li Jie into the dark house, "your family?"

"The children are—" Li Jie started before Fen appeared in that darkness, dressed in pure white, and stepped outside.

"You're back." She said.

"Fen, you should be inside," Li Jie told her, trying to usher her back indoors.