Chapter 9

"Rock, paper, scissors for who has to go get dinner?"

I turned to look at Eli and rolled my eyes. "Fine." He always wanted to make a big deal out of hunting. Only because he loved it and I hated it.

I stuck my hand out, and he did the same. "Rock, paper, scissors."

I threw out my hand, in the shape of scissors. But he had rock. He cheered happily while I groaned.

"Oh for fucks sake." I pouted moodily.

"Tough luck Laila." He winked at me, and started walking away from me with a grin on his face.

I sighed. "God, you'd think I would be used to hunting by now."

We both realised at the same time that it had been a week. It hit me like a ton of bicks. And as if sensing my thoughts, it hit him too.

We turned to look at each other. I hoped desperately that my face was stoic. I didn't want him to know how much I wanted to keep traveling with him.

After the incident with my parent's scents, we returned to normal. And I was loving the time with him. It was so easy, this life. There was so drama or complications. Just living. Each day was the same, but different. I couldn't explain it.

So when I realised I had to leave, I wasn't too happy.

"It's been a week." My voice was a little broken, but I tried to hide it. I didn't know if he really wanted me to go, or if he wanted me to stay.

He nodded. "I know."

"So I guess that means I'm going my own way."

He rubbed the back of his neck. "I guess."

An awkward silence came and it hung in the air. I tried to think of something to say, tried to tell him that I wanted to stay, that I enjoyed hanging out with him, that I felt more me with him than I ever had. But all the words died in my throat, leaving me annoyed at myself for being a coward.

I bit my lip, staring down at my feet.

I felt Eli's eyes on me, and I wanted him to say something. Just one thing. But after a few minutes of silence, I sighed.

"Well, I better be going." I looked up at him, but he wouldn't meet my eyes.

"Okay." His voice was quiet and small. 

Before I could change my mind, I turned and headed away from him. I wasn't happy about it, but we had a deal. And he was a lone wolf. Why would he want some stupid she-wolf following him around?

I was tempted to turn back, but instead forced myself to start running forward. I kept going until I knew I was a fair amount of distance away from him. Then I slowed back and down sighed. Goddamn it.

I could have said something. I could have said this had been one of the best, easiest weeks I had had in a long while I coul have said that I wanted to keep going with him because he was one of the first people I had been friends with.

I guess I just couldn't do anything right. I was just meant to wonder around alone.

I was so caught up in my thoughts that I almost didn't hear the growls in the distance. I whipped my head back around, facing the direction I had just come. I stood frozen until I heard a howl of pain.

In a flash, I had dropped my bag to the floor and was sprinting. I stripped off my clothes as I ran, and shifted in mid-air.

As I got closer and closer to the growls I smelt blood in the air. I growled loudly, and leapt forward, pushing my body.