5: The Molten Door

I didn't sleep at all that night. Not a wink.

I couldn't stop thinking about the incident that nearly got us killed and how something, someone, saved us.

I knew I would have had nightmares if I had gotten any sleep. I knew because Ambur screamed all night. And based on how loud she was, I guessed I had done right by staying up.

Once the others had woken up, we decided to visit the wreckage of old houses and food markets; a main luxury that the people of 2021 had had to enjoy. But after death, material possessions aren't really valuable. So a luxury that was no more, for them.

We walked and walked till Ryan started to complain and everyone agreed with him. Except me.

"Come on, guys! A few more miles to our parents houses!"

-------------------------------------

A few miles later, we stopped in front of a house that was once huge, and luxurious with floors of marble and toilets of gold (yes TOILETS of gold!).

Now it was like a treasure chest calling to us to find its secrets, to uncover its beauty and luxury, to save it from the never-ending flames of the CLUs. I knew my parents were in there. Their souls, at least.

None of us but me dared step up to the smelted front door.

I held up my hand, wiggled my fingers and finally took a deep breath and pushed the melted door along the floor.

I took a step inside and felt an immediate presence.

"Mom! Dad! I know you're here!" I cried. I was so happy. I would finally be able to see them. Maybe.

A cry came from behind me, "Fall, you know there's no one there right?"

My voice lowered to a whisper, "They can't tell you're here, but I know you are!"

Another voice from behind, "Come on Fall, let's go, this is freaking me out."

"I umm..... thought your legs were tired!" I tried to think up an excuse to stay.

"Not anymore, that was rest enough. Now, come on let's get out of here!!!" He sounded hurried.

"No! We can't leave!!" I growled in a low, wavering voice.

"Ummm, Fall, are you ok??"

"I'm fine!" I insisted, with that same intimidating voice.

"Uh-oh, guys I think she's gone crazy!" Ryan whispered to the others.