05| Can You Repeat That?

•••

"E-Eh!? Do we really? Cuz' I got me some French class that I need to attend to, ya know? We are talking about that ola la la shi—" Janan tried to wave off Fatima but was cut off by her

"Girl just tell me! You know you can't live without me! You can't resist me! So just talk to me, please. Before I throw your behind straight to the boys' toilet, I heard their toilet is filled with living insects and bacteria that will be your new best friend if ya don't start talking! No offense to the boys."

Janan knew better than to cross Fatima when it came to what she wanted. She was a dare-devil who wouldn't even swear, unlike Janan's potter mouth.

"O-Okay! Sheesh, fine! But at least let us go somewhere... Like our place?" She fiddled with her fingers.

"Finally! Oh, and I'm calling Malik over to come too." Fatima looked smug over her victory while Janan cursed her bad luck.

~

"Speak, young lady." Fatima literally ordered. Fatima sat on the carpeted grass in a crisscrossed position facing Janan, while Malik leaned against the tree. As usual, his shirt was not tucked in. 

"Okay...but don't freak out! Okay maybe you might but promise not to look a little too shocked, especially you Fatima..." Fatima looked perplexed at the moment but nodded her head while Malik knitted his eyebrows in confusion.

"Alright, I really hope you find this funny because I really want to laugh too, haha, b-but I can't cause... Ammar is...sorta...kinda...maybe... myfiancènow..." She muttered the last part as fast as she could, one eye closed and the other peering at her friends. Janan bit her lower lip as her fingers fiddled with one another. Much to her chagrin, Fatima and Malik had heard every word she had uttered.

Shock colored Fatima's face a deep shade, followed by resignment. Tears didn't seem to make their appearance on her face — just blank. Malik was shocked too, but he snapped out of it as they both attempted to revive Fatima out of her shocked state.

Malik started with, "Your parents are gonna make you marry!? At this age and time!? You haven't even finished secondary yet! What kind of—!?"

Then came a sigh from Fatima, "Ah, so you two are getting married, huh? I didn't expect it to be this soon..."

Now it was time for Janan to reel back in shock.

"What do you mean!?" Malik threw his long arms above his head.

"You knew?!" Janan exclaimed, raising to her knees to shake Fatima's shoulders.

"That was the reason he broke up with me. Just to marry you..." Fatima's eyes clouded with sadness. Janan watched as Fatima pinched the bridge of her nose.