07| Wedding Bells Without Purpose

•••

Before Janan knew it, the dreaded wedding begun

Before Janan knew it, the dreaded wedding begun. They showered Janan with love and care in all the events that took place. Janan, though, was not happy with the situation. No, not at all as she hated putting on a mask just to please her family and friends. But she did appreciate that her family allowed her friends to come to her wedding.

At the Wankin Amarya (Bridal shower), professional henna artists elaborately designed henna on her hands and feet and even some white henna on her mid-back too. She enjoyed all the spa sessions that Ammar's family organized. It was very refreshing and nice to be pampered. Though, she never saw Ammar ever since. Maybe they were torturing him with all the activities too.

"Ah, Janan tawa (my dear), it's like I'm looking at my younger self in a mirror." Her mother stroked her head lovingly, tears pricking her eyes.

"Well, that mirror broke a long time ago, sister." Her aunt, Janan's mother's sister Khadija, joked. They were applying Dilka, massaging it into her soaked body. Her Ummi sent a glare towards her aunt, who let out a cackle. Janan Laughed at the scene before her.

"Just joking, dear." Aunty Khadija sneaked out before her mother could catch her. At least Janan had some fun moments here and there.

~

At the Walima, Janan had never cried so hard on that day. But she hid her tears so as to not spoil the joyful day, as people called it.

'At least I had not seen that inconsiderate enigma since our last encounter.'

Janan thought as a slight smirk graced her ombre stained lips, Aunty Khadija looking at her weirdly but decided to just let her be.

What a beauty they turned Janan into that day, her silky white Alkyabbah with golden embroidery around the chest and neck area. It had puffs at the edges of the gown and the sleeves covered nearly half her hands, her delicate fingers peeking out shyly. The cloth lightly trailed behind her as she walked. The cloth was a little too big on her, but that made her look like an empress. An empress who they forced into this outrageous marriage.

But did Ammar paid attention to such an empress? No, he failed to notice such beauty. All because of her skin.

~

After all the events, it was finally the Dinner party.

The two awaited couples sat glumly in a land cruiser that was driving to the event, neither of them casting a glance to each other. Ammar tried to not be affected by her sweet-candied scented self. It was when they arrived and stepped out of the car, that they finally saw each other after a series of events.

Ammar watched as Janan's glimmering orbs took in his evening attire. The music was loud as the MC asked the DJ to change the slow song to that of an upbeat one.