12| Surprise?

•••

Sitting in the living room with Ammar's family was one thing, but being placed under the limelight was another

"Did he hurt you? Did he do anything to upset you? Did he choose to touch you without your permission?" His mother, Umma, gathered Janan into her warm embrace as soon as Janan stepped foot into the room.

All the while, Janan felt needle-like prickles all over her body. Umma's questions made her extremely uncomfortable. How could she ask her such questions, especially in front of his father and cousin no less!? Janan groaned inwardly.

African families and no filters on their mouths.

"U-Umma, kidena damuwa (stop worrying). None...of that sort happened." Janan grabbed the palms that were on her cheeks to hold in her hands instead. 'Well, not yet.' Janan added as an afterthought as she smiled down at Umma.

"Well, of course, Umma. We raised our Ammar to be the gentleman he is today." Ya Yusrah giggled from across the living room. Janan wanted to scoff, but held herself. She looked at Ammar who seemed to find the plush, nude carpet really interesting.

'Gentleman...huh? Yeah, leaving your wife sitting alone to fend for herself while you were enjoying at your so-called meeting is so gentlemanly.' But Janan thought it best to keep her comment to herself.

His father coughed, gaining back their attentions. "Enough with your embarrassing discussions." He shot a warning glance towards his wife, who winked back at him mischievously. "What we're really here for, is to discuss your honeymoon. I know Janan must've been stiff and exhausted because of her academics. I suggest you select a place to go and relax. Anywhere."

Janan's eyes bulged out. She was about to deny when Ammar spoke up, "Well, Baba, if you don't mind, I'd like to go to that private resort." He emphasized 'that', leaving Janan to become insanely curious.

Janan's muddy orbs went from Ammar's, to Umma's and then to his father's. "Wait, which that? Tell me the place-"

"Oh, you mean that place. The one I took your mother on our honeymoon? Sure, why not." The father's smile had a hint of mischief laying beneath it.

'Abba, not you too!' Janan pinched Ammar's arm, who sat next to her, silently telling him to tell her what the heck was going on. He flashed his pearly whites at her, ignoring the fading pain on his arm.

"Ooh!" Umma's mouth formed an 'O'. "I remember that place. Ah, good choice my son." She leaned over to pat her son on his back. Leaning back, she faced Janan's pouting face. "You're going to enjoy it, Janan." She cooed as she closed her eyes, relishing her past memories.

"What? What's the name? Come on Ammar tell me." Okay, the curiosity was eating Janan as she pleaded.

Umma's eyebrows rose, "Oh sweety, he didn't tell you? Well, it's-"