Getting Away

A pounding headache roused Jackie from sleep the next morning. She sat up in bed and groaned, putting a hand against her face. Last night's events came flooding back. She stumbled over to her vanity to examine what last night had left her with. Just as she was whipping away smeared mascara from under her eyes, there was a thumping on her door.

"Come in." She said hoarsely.

"Good morning." Spoke an all too familiar voice.

Jack. Jackie didn't turn around. Her fingers
gripped the edge of the vanity's molding. All she felt was utter anger at this point. How dare he parade his infidelities all night and then stroll into her room the next morning.

"You disappeared last night." He said approaching her.

"I was about to say the same to you."

Jack froze.

"I uh was just showing senator Smathers-"

"I saw Jack." She says sharply.

Jack is silent. He tries to scrummage up something to say. An excuse. A lie. Anything.

"You should probably get down to the office."

"Right. I'll see you later?" Jack asks, a hint of nervousness in his voice.

Jackie offers him a slight nod. Her back is still turned. Jack doesn't bother with the habitual goodbye kiss. He leaves without a word, figuring Jackie needed space to cool down.

Once he was gone, Jackie goes to the phone on her bedside table. She sits down on her bed and takes a deep breath before dialing the number.

"Hello?"

"Mum, it's me. I need to come stay with you. I have to get away."