26; Inspection

"Jeff!" Oroku Saki leaned over the snoring blond, hands clasped behind his back.

    Jeff jerked with a snort and peeked an eye open. "Yeah?" When darkness consumed his senses again and he had received no response, he sighed and reluctantly sat up. "It's inspection day, isn't it?"

"It is. Come."

Still more than half asleep – around five sixths, to be more accurate – Jeff stumbled out of bed and down the corridors behind the Shredder. He felt like a fish on dry land, flopping to and fro. His bed was his water, which was his home; his atmosphere. It was where he belonged.

    Karai met them on the way down, falling into step beside the Shredder. Every first day of the month this power trio, which consisted of Oroku Saki, the head boss, Jeff, the second in command, and Karai, the third wheel (a role she bore with disdain), strolled down the halls of the dorms on the floor below. They toured the rooms of their ninja army, spending a few hours engaging in the routinely activities to gauge the mental progress of the battalions as well as the physical.

    Over the past few months, each individual had begun showing significant improvement in both mood and body. The changes Shredder at put in place were paying off. His men were healthier and happier. They were more willing to serve him now, not as much out of fear than of gratefulness for at least granting them some freedom.

    Most of the soldiers were, in fact, orphans. Street urchins. Young children plucked out of their homeless lives at an early age to grow up within the confines of Shredder's headquarters. No one noticed when they disappeared. They were taken away to be forgotten. To lose themselves to what they were told to be. They learned to simply obey without questioning the higher authority.

Most of them didn't remember much before their training. Saki would not allow many children over the age of five to be brought in for the purpose of making sure they knew nothing but their lives of service to him. They became sheltered, knowing little of the outside world, or the beauty of life. Many felt something missing in their daily routines. Especially the ones who regularly patrolled the city and were chosen as expendables. They were the ones who witnessed the other side. The ones who questioned the most.

None would dare escape, of course. That was an all too risky idea, for they knew of the Shredder's reputation.

A low buzz grew steadily louder as the trio descended to the underground floors of the building. The cafeteria sat open and exposed, the first room at the bottom of the stairs. The second largest portion of the ninja living quarters, it seated all of Shredder's soldiers at once, plus his generals and most trusted minions. It was currently breakfast hour.

The ninjas had been ordered to simply go about there day as any other, so they did not stand to acknowledge their master's presence. This is what Saki had requested, as he wanted to survey them in their most casual form. He strolled down the rows of tables and listened in on the conversations being held. All seemed well.

The soldiers weren't required to wear masks unless sent on a mission, whether that be patrol, or dimly fetching pancakes for Jeff. Because of this, none were currently hidden behind their masks, and their master could see every face clearly. Every emotion drawn onto those features that were often covered up. It was refreshing.

    "Hut, hut!" A shout arose from a commander standing at the doorway on the other side of the cafeteria. This was to alert the ninjas to the next part of their day. Quickly, each one left their seat, clearing their food on the way. They stepped into rows of fellow trainees, lining up in perfect formation as they had been taught since childhood.