Chapter 5

Jeongguk snapped to attention as the lock turning on the door echoed through the tiny cell. He scrambled to his feet, pressing his back against the far wall. How long had he been in here with only Eden to talk to? He missed Taehyung so much it hurt, creating a constant ache in his chest and a throb in his head.

Eden felt bad that she couldn't let them speak to each other in their dreams, but Jeongguk's body had reacted so awfully that she even refused to let him speak to his boyfriend as she had before, no matter how much he begged.

The door swung slowly open and Jeongguk squinted as dull light hit his nocturnal eyes. He could make out two figures standing there, staring at him silently. Flattening his back against the cold stone, he wetted his lips nervously. What did they want?

The figures entered the room. One was female and the other male, and each had massive wings folded against their backs, large enough for their joints to peak over their shoulders. Jeongguk forced himself to say, "Who are you?"

"Come," the male ordered, reaching out his hand.

Remembering the pain their touch caused him, Jeongguk cowered as far back as he could and snapped, "I can do it myself, thanks."

The male glanced at the female, who shrugged, "I see no problem with that. Come, human."

Jeongguk obeyed warily, watching the male to make sure he didn't try anything. He didn't, so Jeongguk walked silently between them through the poorly lit hallway. "Where are we going?"

"Hush," the woman ordered, her voice soft.

Their journey took them to a set of stairs and Jeongguk craned his head, trying to see where they led. It was too dark, though, and then the guards were taking him up. His legs complained after being cooped up for so long, but he forced himself to keep going.

"Are we going to see Taehyung?" Jeongguk asked, trying to hide the hope in his voice.

"Yes, youngling," the woman responded, ignoring the look the man gave her. "Now you must hush."

Jeongguk obeyed this time, smiling to himself. Finally. He probably stank even though he tried a few times to wash up in the sink, and his hair was a mess, and he didn't have a toothbrush, and his clothes were dingy, but he imagined Taehyung was in the same position. He was just happy to finally see him. Actually see him, and have him see Jeongguk too.

Finally, they were at the top of the staircase, and the male looked at Jeongguk. "My sister is gentler than the angels you are about to face in here. As am I."

Jeongguk marveled at them. "Why are you being nice to me? I thought I was a prisoner."

"You, unfortunately, are," the man sighed. "But we do not have to treat you as such. You are simply a poor human who was seduced by a Fallen. It is not your fault, and we will get it sorted."

Jeongguk opened his mouth to deny the seduction part, but then the male pushed open the door and the inhabitants turned to look at the newcomers. Jeongguk scanned the immense room, ignoring the angels and archangels crowded inside. His eyes finally fell on their prize, meeting Taehyung's. The boy was kneeling in the center of the crowd, sitting stiffly upright. Jeongguk gasped softly and, before he fully knew what he was doing, his legs carried him forward and he fell to his knees before him, snaking his arms around the boy's shoulders.

Taehyung buried his face in the crook of Jeongguk's neck, bringing his hands up to press Jeongguk deeper into his chest. "Jagi."

Jeongguk took one hand and carded it through Taehyung's greasy hair. Even in this state, he smelled like cinnamon and wind. Jeongguk inhaled deeply, his heart palpitating. He realized he was crying and pulled away to rub fiercely at his eyes, stopping when Taehyung brought his hands up to wipe his cheeks with his thumbs. "Don't cry for me, jagi."