Chapter Five: Insight

Music is "Skipping Stones" by Claire Guerreso.

Picture is from Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

···········

CHAPTER FIVE: Insight

Steve is silent the entire flight back to Washington. He remains in his seat, eyes glued to the floor, not speaking a word. Natasha sits beside me on the other side of the Quinjet, just out of hearing range.

"Just when I got him to start trusting me," she mumbles to herself, low enough so that I can hear but Steve can't over the sound of the plane.

"Don't be so hard on yourself, Tasha," I reply, looking at the solemn redhead. "Steve just plays by the old rules, even after being out of the ice for nearly two years. I...I know what it's like to have to play by more complicated rules."

She turns to give me a small look of gratitude. "I was following orders," she tells me, eyes flickering over to Steve to ensure he can't hear us. "Fury gave me a direct order. I had to follow it. It might be complicated, but it is compartmentalization."

I nod. "I know. No one can know everything so no one can give everything up. Trust me, the Cold War taught me that much."

When the Quinjet lands, Steve leaves as silently as he was on the entire trip. He marches past the locker rooms, towards the lift, and hits the button that I assume will take him to Director Nick Fury.

I walk beside my friend and colleague to the locker rooms. We change out of our uniforms, sending them off to be cleaned, and get a well-needed shower. I wash the blood and grime from my body, just glad to be home.

Natasha finishes before me and wraps a towel around herself as I finish. She stands outside my stall, turned away to give me privacy as she says, "I know what this weekend is for you."

I grip my towel and dry off, looking at the shower stall in front of me. Two days from now is April 4th, Bucky and my anniversary. To be honest, I had pushed it from my mind for a while now, focusing on work, friends, and family. "Do you?"

She nods. "I'm sorry about what happened," she tells me, sincerely. "I had a lover once, after I left the Red Room. She was one of the trainees. We escaped together. Every year, we celebrated the anniversary of the day we left. And now...now that she's dead? It's one of the hardest days of the year." She turns and walks towards the locker, where new clothes are kept. "How long?"

Though it's a somewhat vague question, I know exactly what she means. How long has it been since your wedding? "This year is the big seventy," I admit, drying my hair with a second towel. "But it's been almost that long since I saw Bucky, too, so I'm not sure it really counts."

When I come into the locker room, Natasha is already in mundane clothes. She gives me a small smile as she places a hand on my shoulder. "Trust me, it counts."

Both of our coms start to buzz. I pick up mine and press the answer button. "This is Emma."

"Fury wants to show us something," Steve says over the channel. "Something important. Meet us at the elevator."

"On my way." I turn to Natasha, hearing her conversation over her com. Something about an old mission. She drops her com, her face a little paler. "Are you all right?"

She shakily nods her head, turning for the door. "Got something to take care of. See you later, Emma."

···········

"Insight Bay."

"Sergeant Barnes does not have clearance for Project Insight."

"Director override: Fury, Nicholas J."